How's people coping financially at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have taken a big pay cut, lost my promised raise for my promotion (kept the workload though) and am now being asked for more voluntary contributions. The vast majority of our revenue comes from the automotive sector, so I am expecting the worst late this year. I hd built up a very good nest egg, but the majority is in the stock market (trackers) and peer to peer lending so I expect that this egg will be smaller for quite some time. On the plus side the family is still healthy.

Which part of automotive are you working with, judging by what my customers are saying it may not be the same for a good while, if ever. I have just gone two months without a phone call on either of my two trade related businesses.

Gunk

Guru
I'm on the fence with the credit thing.

Obviously if you buy it outright you've no debt BUT, why not enjoy yourself while you and your kids are younger and enjoy life a bit?.

I'm working as normal, wife is working from home and going to work, we're no better or worse off really as don't go out drinking much anyway!.

Feel sorry for our kids not being out and about but same again, they don't expect ££££'s worth of stuff monthly anyway so no change there.

I just try and live a miserable debt free life, all our friends seem to have tons of debt but are having much more fun!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Which part of automotive are you working with, judging by what my customers are saying it may not be the same for a good while, if ever. I have just gone two months without a phone call on either of my two trade related businesses.
We are on the maps and self driving car side of things, we you see that UK new car sales were down 97% last month you can quickly understand how dire things will be.

screenman

Legendary Member
We are on the maps and self driving car side of things, we you see that UK new car sales were down 97% last month you can quickly understand how dire things will be.

Motability sell up to 700 cars a day into the motor trade I think they have done 150 in two months, that will be a problem as many people will have end of lease cars that need changing when the doors open again, nobody is sure what effect it will have though. I do PDR (paintless dent repair) and windscreen repair for mainly trade customers I think most are in a state of shock and do not know which way to turn. I also supply windscreen repair kits to major and small firms, this just stopped on the 17th of March apart from one sale to Ocado.

Gunk

Guru
But they'll all moan about having to work into their 70's to pay for it all, if indeed the stress doesn't nail them first.

there are benefits, I’m 55 now and even though I went through an expensive divorce 20 years ago, I’ll be mortgage free and able to retire in 5 years time. Lots of our friends are not so fortunate

delb0y

Legendary Member
there are benefits, I’m 55 now and even though I went through an expensive divorce 20 years ago, I’ll be mortgage free and able to retire in 5 years time. Lots of our friends are not so fortunate

I'm in a similar position, but have been told (more than once) I'm lucky and privileged. Not sure what luck or privilege have to do with it. Haven't had more than two weeks (well two weeks and a day, once) off in 42 years, always paid mortgage and pension and bills before anything else. Saved hard, and though times have been tough for a good proportion of that time I do see a light at the end of the tunnel in a few years. That said, I'm still not convinced that a miserable debt-free life was the way to go. As you say, other folks seems to have a lot more fun and maybe that's the better plan, and to hell with the future.

Derek

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I wouldn't say to hell with the future. I do the same as you, pay all my bills first etc and then have to save up and wait if i want anything big. But I do this to keep my savings growing, and to keep putting money in my son's savings account. I don't want him to grow up living hand to mouth, with no security in place for when he's old or out of work etc.

Lots of my friends earn good money and have foreign holidays, new cars etc. But many of them are renting. I would worry what would happen when they retire and then can't afford to rent anywhere nice (or what they've become used to).

Chippy Dave

I’m lucky in comparison to some on here, 7 years ago I came away from being self employed and I work for a nationwide kitchen and joinery company as one of their fitters. I have been put onto furlough as it’s not feasible for us to enter properties that are occupied, in all fairness though the company have added 10% to the governments 80% so i think they’ve been very fair. Since I came away from being self employed it has made me realise that it’s a lot less hassle and stress being employed, and the money throughout the year is not much different once you allow for holidays, van maintenance etc, plus your spare time is your own which is perhaps more valuable.
Where I have been lucky in that respect I’m not particularly lucky in my personal life, broke up in a long term relationship last year and find myself with a 17 year mortgage at the age of 50 :sad:, could be worse though and I feel for anybody that is suffering in these times.

Chippy Dave

I'm in a similar position, but have been told (more than once) I'm lucky and privileged. Not sure what luck or privilege have to do with it. Haven't had more than two weeks (well two weeks and a day, once) off in 42 years, always paid mortgage and pension and bills before anything else. Saved hard, and though times have been tough for a good proportion of that time I do see a light at the end of the tunnel in a few years. That said, I'm still not convinced that a miserable debt-free life was the way to go. As you say, other folks seems to have a lot more fun and maybe that's the better plan, and to hell with the future.

Derek

It’s a tough call Derek, and very much the choice of the individual. I’ve always tried to enjoy life to a certain extent, I don’t rack up ridiculous amounts of credit, but I don’t tend to scrimp and save either. My view is that although I have to prepare for getting old, I’m 50 now, there is also a chance that some of us won’t make retirement and I think life can be very tiresome and mundane at times, so sometimes it’s good to live for today.

Drago

Legendary Member
I firmly believe that barring certain unforseen criteria - injury, illness, disability , that sort of thing - that people make their own luck with their employment choices and spending habits.

Gunk

Guru
I firmly believe that barring certain unforseen criteria - injury, illness, disability , that sort of thing - that people make their own luck with their employment choices and spending habits.

I completely agree, we live well but it’s within our means, I’ve been lucky, I sold my company a couple of years ago , so although I still need to work I can pick and choose what I want to do. However I worked my nuts off for 35 years so I feel that I’m at a time in life where I deserve to take it a little bit easier.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

A bit younger but the mortgage will be paid off next year. We've chosen not to move and so don't live in the best area but it's a decent-sized house with kids at a free grammar school.

Once it's paid off, and my 15yo has left school, we'll move but won't take on debt. We've worked hard to get ourselves out of debt and a bad position 15 years ago: I don't want to go there again.

Top Bottom