HP Envy Network adapter issues / wifi issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few years ago I got a nice envy laptop that had a decent chip and specs, although it was a HDD one as SSD were still high end only is that old. It started as a guide computer but after 6 months the connection to Internet started to be shaky. One evening no problems the next I had to keep knocking off the WiFi network adaptor off and back on or troubleshoot it. Eventually it just stopped connecting at all. I gave up in the and bought a smaller laptop with a SSD.

Is this likely to be readily fixed? Is it worth paying for it to be fixed? Should I bother considering it's 3 or more years old now? It was a nice keyboard, screen and sound too.

Any views?

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not search out one of the older mobile/WiFi dongles.
Use that to connect to WiFi.

I would look at getting it repaired. Some laptops have replaceable wifi adpators, but this will depend on the model of course.
Alternatively you could get a cheap wifi dongle like this

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Not HP, but I had similar problems recently with the Intel WiFi adaptor in my laptop losing the connection to my server and to the Internet (once in the middle of a Zoom call!). Disabling and re-enabling the adaptor worked, but didn't cure the issue.

Eventually I uninstalled it, removed all traces of the old driver, and downloaded/installed the latest driver from the vendor. Touch wood, seems to have fixed the problem.

I would look at getting it repaired. Some laptops have replaceable wifi adpators, but this will depend on the model of course.
Alternatively you could get a cheap wifi dongle like this
You could replace the internal card too...Bit more expensive and will require some dismantling...link

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Why not search out one of the older mobile/WiFi dongles.
Use that to connect to WiFi.
Not HP, but I had similar problems recently with the Intel WiFi adaptor in my laptop losing the connection to my server and to the Internet (once in the middle of a Zoom call!). Disabling and re-enabling the adaptor worked, but didn't cure the issue.

Eventually I uninstalled it, removed all traces of the old driver, and downloaded/installed the latest driver from the vendor. Touch wood, seems to have fixed the problem.

I did both, and it may be psychological, or a result of other bits of housekeeping I did at the same time as suggested by loads of youtube things, but with them both connected, it seems to be better than ever.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I updated drivers. Not sure if I deleted it before downlo current driver. Whatever solution I got from Internet didn'twork or not for long. It's frustrating when it appears to work well whatever I tried for a few uses or even just that one day's use only to fall exactly at before.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A very long shot but... are you definitely trying to connect to your own wifi?

If you have somehow been connecting to a neighbour's insecure wifi instead of yours then it wouldn't be surprising if it were not reliable.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I've tried but my neighbour's WiFi is password protected. We had a limit on ours which we easily passed. No free rides unfortunately. 😕

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got a 17" Envy of similar vintage. Pretty sure the wifi cards are swappable in these. I swapped my HD for an SSD and being a big case, the old HD became a second drive.

Notebookrepair.co.uk are really good. Just had them replace my keyboard and fix the hinge on my Envy

Top Bottom