Hrd Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
So I am now the proud owner of a Planet X cyclocross bike with Sram hrd discs. My first disc brake bike.

Unfortunately it arrived poorly set up, so i used my local bike store and asked them to set the gears / brakes up. I did google how to adjust them etc but i felt it was a little beyond my skills.

Anyhow the bike came back spot on. I have only done one ride home from the shop on the bike since and here are my thoughts and potential issue with the brakes.

From the off i the brakes felt weak, as in they weren't super sharp / powerful as i was expecting. However I am aware new pads / discs need bedding in so wasn't surprised by this. I found a quiet bit of road and cycled up and down. Building to moderate speed and then braking carefully to walking pace. I did this about 10 times maybe. I then cycled the rest of the way home, knowing that I needed to do more bedding in so i kept my speed and braking sensible. when I got closer to home i thought i would have another few runs at bedding the brakes in. However this time, I accidentally locked up the rear wheel. Again i was trying to be gentle with the brakes.

Since that point the rear brake had a judder and bit of a squeal when you press the brakes. The judder can be felt through the frame / saddle.

So have I broken something? I will try take the bike back to the shop soon. but wanted to get some opinions from you guys too.

Right now I feel like disc brakes have potential to be amazing, but they are quite delicate in the way you use and maintain them? Any advice to keep them running smoothly?

Thanks

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I don’t think you’ve broken anything. A couple of things to check:

Could the brake rotors/pads be contaminated? Spray some brake cleaner and wipe with a clean cloth.
Are the wheels centred in the dropouts properly and quick releases/thru axles done up tight?
Are the disc rotors warped/bent? It can happen quite easily, especially during transit. Lift each wheel in turn and spin it whilst looking down through the brake pads to see if the rotor is true and centred between the pads.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Pads will squeal especially if new, wouldn't think they could be contaminated this early in their life.
Disc might be warped, easy to check as above. Easy and cheap enough to change.
Nothing you have done has contributed to this.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Damp cold brakes squeal judder.
Just do a good ride and let them sort themselves.

You may need to align calipers and adjust pads if cable brakes.
If hydraulic they do it themselves.

Enjoy the bike

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Thanks for the tips, I haven’t had a chance to ride again, will be next weeks commute now I reckon. That will be a much longer ride.
It looks like the disc is perfectly true, and I checked the quick release. Not sure if that was loose but it’s nice and secure now.
We’ll see how that goes!

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Quick update, I managed to do two weeks of commuting before the office closed.

c 200kms in total, the brakes feel really good now. They are really strong. As they gradually bed in, you kind of don't notice there strength. Until I got on my road bike with rim brakes, and pressed the brakes and it felt like nothing was happening, a little unnerving. So I guess I am a happy customer.

Final question on the hydraulic brake system. I usually store one bike on the floor in the hallway and one hanging vertically on the wall in the cupboard. I have read that turning a hydraulic disc brake bike upside down can have some negative impact on the brake fluid. Should I be concerned about hanging the bike vertically as well?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Quick update, I managed to do two weeks of commuting before the office closed.

c 200kms in total, the brakes feel really good now. They are really strong. As they gradually bed in, you kind of don't notice there strength. Until I got on my road bike with rim brakes, and pressed the brakes and it felt like nothing was happening, a little unnerving. So I guess I am a happy customer.

Final question on the hydraulic brake system. I usually store one bike on the floor in the hallway and one hanging vertically on the wall in the cupboard. I have read that turning a hydraulic disc brake bike upside down can have some negative impact on the brake fluid. Should I be concerned about hanging the bike vertically as well?

Should be fine.
Just check you have brakes when the bikes back on the level, might need a lever pump or two

Top Bottom