HSBC On The Ball

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

I was quite surprised you could put a big deposit down on a car, never mind buy one with your debit card.

About seven years ago I paid for a £900 bike with the debit card, on that occasion the transaction went through but I had the HSBC fraud department on the phone about an hour later questioning the transaction, I was expecting the same thing this time, I wasn't expecting the card to be declined, I had already told the bank what I was planning to do.

postman

Legendary Member
Santander bounced my £1,200 payment to Canyon even though I phoned the banks customer services up and told them what I was about to do.
Canyon said that they were used to it and reapplied the next day and got my/their money.

Never mind the bouncing cheque.Those bikes are beeeeeautiful.

DRHysted

Guru
My credit card is with Tesco and my debit is with First Direct. I have in the past been cloned three times on the credit card and twice on the debit. All times the banks have spotted it before me and stopped the transactions.
Tesco will put a stop on my card if ever they spot something out of the ordinary which is quite annoying when traveling back from Scotland as it appears as if my card is used in various places in the same day. But they always send a text, once I have responded to the text they lift the stop.
Really can't fault either establishment and have no intention of changing.

TVC

I always either ring the bank or nip in, it sees time or hassle.

I am of to Norway next weekend will again nip in and see them

If you keep them informed, it helps
Barclaycard always used to want you to call them to say when you would be in a different country - something I had no problem with. Then they said it wasn't needed any more. I suppose they developed algorythms that were smart enough. If I'm in Thailand paying for meals, buying sarongs and booking excursions then they think fair enough, if the card then tries to buy a telly then they are going to sit up.

Brains

Legendary Member
Had the call from Barclays twice.

Once in HK trying to get £50 out of an ATM, they wanted to know where I was, but didnt say who they were!

Other time I had just paid for lunch in Cornwall and they called up wanting to know how I was also buying gardening equipment in Yorkshire, luckily they managed to stop the scammers by the third transaction in Yorkshire. But you do wonder if I had not paid for lunch on the card if the scammers would have been caught, and one assumes it was not an Indian call centre that knew Cornwall and Yorkshire are hundreds of miles apart

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I found the Halifax to be excellent. The rang me when I paid for a large purchase on my card which was way, way more expensive than the things that I normally buy.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

My credit card is with Tesco and my debit is with First Direct. I have in the past been cloned three times on the credit card and twice on the debit. All times the banks have spotted it before me and stopped the transactions.
Tesco will put a stop on my card if ever they spot something out of the ordinary which is quite annoying when traveling back from Scotland as it appears as if my card is used in various places in the same day. But they always send a text, once I have responded to the text they lift the stop.
Really can't fault either establishment and have no intention of changing.

I got done once many years ago. The bank spotted it before I did and stopped the card, I had it all reimbursed by the bank. Chain Reaction cycles had their security breached and a lot of card details stolen, including mine, I had several small transactions put on my card, phone top ups and petrol, which didn't amount to much.

I rang First Direct and they said there would be no issue using my debit card to buy our car, said the dealer may have a "floor limit" though?.

She also said make sure everything is in order before entering the pin as there would be no going back after that and gave us some other helpful tips.

Car was 3 years old but still, £15,000 in one quick debit card transaction was surprisingly painless.. Incidentally it took 2 days after the transaction to leave my account, rubbing salt into the wounds!.

Honestly don't know what the upper limit on the debit card would be, might ask them out of curiosity..
Same here, I bought a £16k car on my Bank of Scotland debit card. I also took the precaution of ringing them first to check there would be no issues.

Had the call from Barclays twice.

Once in HK trying to get £50 out of an ATM, they wanted to know where I was, but didnt say who they were!

Other time I had just paid for lunch in Cornwall and they called up wanting to know how I was also buying gardening equipment in Yorkshire, luckily they managed to stop the scammers by the third transaction in Yorkshire. But you do wonder if I had not paid for lunch on the card if the scammers would have been caught, and one assumes it was not an Indian call centre that knew Cornwall and Yorkshire are hundreds of miles apart
Probably not detected by a call centre at all, more likely an Indian written piece of code.

This time next week I will be withdrawing money from the World's most northerly cash point!

2013-04-23+12.18.30+(640x480).jpg

I have informed the bank!

That is one receipt I will be keeping!

Drago

Legendary Member
How did HSBC reckon someone had got your card as well as your PIN? Someone could nick my card, but unless they torture the PIN out of me they won't be using it in any card machines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom