HTC Desire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shanks

Had mine for a few weeks now and I love it, no problems with call quality or lock-ups.

Now I'm trying to find a good handlebar mount for it. Plenty around for the iphones and they are so similar in size I thought I might try one of those but has anyone got a better suggestion?

Cheers

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Never had any problems at all with call quality, screen lock-ups or reboots.

I have heard that the software that Orange puts on the phones can affect things, so maybe other networks do the same and that's the issue?

I got mine from the Carphone Warehouse so the phone wasn't Orange-branded.

Simply a stunning gadget. Anyone else been using Google Tracks to map / record their routes?

barq

goo_mason said:
I have heard that the software that Orange puts on the phones can affect things, so maybe other networks do the same and that's the issue?

That kind of thing has happened in the past. Mine is from Three, but unusually hasn't been Three branded. I would imagine they were rushing to 'range' a popular phone, so mine is unlocked and not Three branded. I imagine future Desire's from Three will be branded up and locked. It makes me more inclined to go via HTC for a fix rather than Three who might just replace with a locked model (I occasionally do stuff in the USA so being able to use a local SIM is nice).

Well anyway I've done five factory resets in as many days, at the moment the phone is in a virginal state (no added apps) and it still crashes. Actually I can't install any apps at the moment because 'Market' crashes so that is rather limiting! :smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm a bit behind the times as ever, but got my Desire (renewed contract with T-Mob) last week... I had a G1 for 18 months before that, so I am an Android fan anyway... the new 'phone' (that word doesn't seem to be enough, somehow) is flipping BRILLIANT
biggrin.gif

However... as with the G1, the battery life is pants (even pantsier than the G1 was)... you can turn things off (wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS, background data etc) but one of the joys of the gadget for me is being able to use al that stuff without faffing around turning it on first... once they've developed batteries for these devices that will last, then I'll be really happy... f'rinstance... unplugged mine from charger at 6.00am today, when I got up... read a few news articles on t'web while having a bath, while listening to the FM radio on it, then a few more articles on the bus while listening to MP3s... get into work, and the battery is down to 60% !!!!

Now, I spend most of my days sat at a desk, so I'll do wqith this what I did with the G1... just have it on charge (USB from PC) while I'm working, and plug it in when I get home... I tried 'battery training' it (full charges, the let it run totally down x7 or 8) but it hasn't really seemed to benefit things... going to get a desk charger which will charge a spare battery too...

So, fab gadgets, but battery life remains the key.

The other thing is that mine still has Android 2.1.... apparently T-Mob sorting out Fro-Yo updates soon (?)... cos the other issue I had with G1 was space... less so of course with this one (and I've put 32 apps form the market on it already
smile.gif
) but moving many of those apps to SD will be very useful too.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
I've just got an HTC Desire and I'm very impressed too. :biggrin:

Battery life isn't brilliant but I have been playing with it a lot, so I'll be interested to see how long it lasts once I'm back to 'normal' usage.

I too am still on Android 2.1 as T-Mobile still haven't released the 2.2 update, which is supposed to improve battery life. They have assured that this will be coming this month but won't give a specific date. Hopefully there won't be any delays so this means we'll get it in the next fortnight.

martint235

Dog on a bike
There is a hack that works on the HTC Hero, may work on the Desire to prolong battery life. Go into phone:

1. Dial *#*#4636#*#* , don't press call. It should take you into the system menu
2. Go to Phone information
3. scroll down until you get to WCDMA Auto (or something similar)
4. Choose GSM PRL Auto from the list.
5. Back out using the back key

As stated, this works for the Hero so I take absolutely no responsibility for damage. it may not even show you the menu on the Desire but it could be worth a try. I went from 12 hours to 24 on my Hero.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My desire with o2 is on 2.1, there have been one or two problems with 2.2 and application conflicts so quite happy to wait until they are sorted before upgrding.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've been running Froyo on my hero for a while now. Wasn't aware that battery life improvement was meant to be a feature.

To be honest, I haven't really noticed anything in Froyo that wasn't in Eclair.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Being able to use the Desire as a wifi hotspot is extremely convenient, and for me the HD video thing is a good laugh but not essential. I haven't tried the iTunes synching yet but I can see it would be useful.

I think it's mainly supposed to be a lot more stable. Oh, and Flash 10.1 is a lot better.<br>

One of the blogs I frequently read mentioned this and concluded that there is some kind of cost involved and had gone back to tethering his phone to his laptop with a cable. Unfortunately I read 10+ different mobile phone blogs and can't remember which one I read it in!!

davefb

Guru
There is a hack that works on the HTC Hero, may work on the Desire to prolong battery life. Go into phone:

1. Dial *#*#4636#*#* , don't press call. It should take you into the system menu
2. Go to Phone information
3. scroll down until you get to WCDMA Auto (or something similar)
4. Choose GSM PRL Auto from the list.
5. Back out using the back key

As stated, this works for the Hero so I take absolutely no responsibility for damage. it may not even show you the menu on the Desire but it could be worth a try. I went from 12 hours to 24 on my Hero.

hmm interesting.. that would increase life, implies your telling it to default to the slower gsm network, not the wcdma....

which seems to have changed on my Hero when i got the 2.1 update... when it comes back from 'suspend' it shows '3g' as the signal, not 'h', then quickly goes to H.. I'm guessing thats a power saving idea??

I LOVE MY HERO :biggrin:

Top Bottom