Huawei and Google

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's pretty much how ECHELON works. We can't legally spy on our own citizens, so all the other members of FIVE EYES use ECHELON to spy on then on our behalf, and vice versa.
Is that really how it works? It rings a faint bell from the distant past: a story about exactly that being done transatlantically - CIA & GCHQ bugging phones etc of the "other"'s citizens and swapping data hauls, explicitly to circumvent legislation - but as I recall it, the story 'emerged' and to the embarrassment of the agencies involved. Is it now just standard procedure, between five agencies (who?) and openly on the record? If so, that's quite jaw-dropping isn't it?

Or maybe I'm just old. I remember when bugging a phone was considered a big deal.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
THIS article seems to be keeping up to date with developments and explains what it all means to Huawei owners.
Thanks, I was looking at the P30 which is not affected. That's good to know

Drago

Legendary Member
Is that really how it works? It rings a faint bell from the distant past: a story about exactly that being done transatlantically - CIA & GCHQ bugging phones etc of the "other"'s citizens and swapping data hauls, explicitly to circumvent legislation - but as I recall it, the story 'emerged' and to the embarrassment of the agencies involved. Is it now just standard procedure, between five agencies (who?) and openly on the record? If so, that's quite jaw-dropping isn't it?

Or maybe I'm just old. I remember when bugging a phone was considered a big deal.
I don't believe it's ever been officially acknowledged, but it's been leaked and hinted at from so, so many sources since the 70s I suspect it probably is true.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't believe it's ever been officially acknowledged, but it's been leaked and hinted at from so, so many sources since the 70s I suspect it probably is true.
I suspect (having Wiki'd) that you're right. Some of that stuff is astonishing - especially the Americans' use of it for industrial espionage, eg:

In 1999, Enercon, a German company and leading manufacturer of wind energy equipment, developed a breakthrough generator for wind turbines. After applying for a US patent, it had learned that Kenetech, an American rival, had submitted an almost identical patent application shortly before. By the statement of a former NSA employee, it was later discovered that the NSA had secretly intercepted and monitored Enercon's data communications and conference calls and passed information regarding the new generator to Kenetech.

:eek:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm a bit confused with this thread now (as is started a while ago). Is it "safe" yet to buy a Huawei phone?

A Huawei phone will continue to work, but won't benefit from future software upgrades from Google.

It was hoped this obstacle would be removed as part of the US - China trade discussions, but that may be some time away.

If you want a comparably good phone look at Moto G (or Motorola) and Xiaomi. Both are Chinese owned and exempt from the restrictions on Huawei.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Is a slightly hybrid dictatorship now isn't it. Dictatorship no doubt. Isn't there a deal between the communist party of China and its people that they can benefit from what are 'Western freedoms' as long as the population remains subservient to the party.
As opposite to the UK or US where people remain subservient to two parties which are different only in colour and name :laugh:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
As opposite to the UK or US where people remain subservient to two parties which are different only in colour and name :laugh:
Well, we did try to bring in PR but the Tory overlords in the right wing tabloid toilet rolls (actually, I wouldn't even wipe with The Sun) didn't like it so campaigned to get rid of it, just like the Leveson report they didn't like either.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Imho it is, since 90's at least, with a very brief interlude

Labour went right, Tories went left and voters are left with an illusion of choice

Not to derail topic Huawei p40 > any iphone^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Were right to be wary about Huawei. The algorithms that governed the behaviour of automatic analogue telephone exchanges were developed by an american mathematician in the 1930s. The americans used their inside knowledge to snoop on phone calls around the world until digital exchanges made the old system redundant. Theres no reason to think that the Chinese won't return the favour.

Top Bottom