Huawei and Google

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm pondering on a new phone. Last time I did this I was impressed with Huawei and the phones had a lot of good reviews.

I realise Google is not currently allowed to supply Huawei or Honor. Is this just in the States or worldwide? Is it actually safe, from a simple consumer view, to buy these brands?

I'm not expecting the Chinese to spy on me. I'm just concerned to have an Android phone which continues to work, has access to apps and future updates.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Huh? I'm currently browsing using Google browser on my Huawei phone

D

Deleted member 26715

I bought a pair of Honor 8S's £99 each, nice phones as good as the Samsung 5 one of them replaced, faster, longer battery life, having no issues at all, always kept up to date so far.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the huawei phone you want to buy is running a version of Android you'll be okay but be aware that down the line your OS may not get updates or security patches as well as apps which may eventually stop working or may be venerable to viruses etc.
I wouldn't buy one but if you felt the cheap price is worth the risk go for it.
There are plenty of very good budget phones around from Motorola, Nokia and others so look at some of those as well. If a good camera is important consider a Pixel, the 3a is excellent.
Nokia and Pixel are Android One phones so are guaranteed OS updates for a set period.

Last edited:

netman

Veteran
It's complicated and will depend on which model you are looking to buy - details are here - the latest Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro are not getting access to the Google Play store or having Google apps pre-installed. There was a work around for this, but last I heard it had stopped working/been blocked by Google... the larger Chinese brands offer excellent value for money - my Xiaomi Pocophone is better in many ways than the iPhone 10 it replaced (and a quarter of the price!).
Any handset that was out before the ruling should be ok - Huawei have a dedicated site for info here. As said above, the safest option would be a Pixel 3a - excellent phone at a great price and no chance of problems as it's by Google themselves.

D

Deleted member 26715

If the huawei phone you want to buy is running a version of Android you'll be okay but be aware that down the line your OS may not get updates or security patches as well as apps which may eventually stop working or may be venerable to viruses etc.
That is not strictly true, what was said was that Huawei are no longer part of the pre-release of the patch software such as Samsung, Motorola etc. they traditionally got 6 weeks notice to patch their phones, Huawei will not get that grace period anymore & will only be able to start to patch their phones on the public release date.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can't see this trade war that Trump has started will continue for ever so maybe in not too distant future sanctions will be lifted and huawei will be welcomed back into the fold.

D

Deleted member 26715

I can't see this trade war that Trump has started will continue for ever so maybe in not too distant future sanctions will be lifted and huawei will be welcomed back into the fold.
Or the Merkins come to their senses & kick Boris Oops Donald out

postman

Legendary Member
If they are good enough for my two kids,they are good enough for me.All four of us have them.Mind you being the numpty of the family gadget wise they use theirs a lot more than i do,they work well and look good.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its not commercial sanctions buddy, but a national security consideration. If America came to a commercial arrangement with China tomorrow re trade and commerce, that it would have no effect on the Huaweissue. its legitimate fears over national security. All sorts of Huawei gear from traffic light controllers through to computers and mobile phone network equipment have been found to contain decives that are covertly sending data back to China. A lot of this equipment is owned by western governments, and the company have offered no explanation as to why their equipment has apparently covertly gathering and transmitting facilities installed.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its not commercial sanctions buddy, but a national security consideration. If America came to a commercial arrangement with China tomorrow re trade and commerce, that it would have no effect on the Huaweissue. its legitimate fears over national security. All sorts of Huawei gear from traffic light controllers through to computers and mobile phone network equipment have been found to contain decives that are covertly sending data back to China. A lot of this equipment is owned by western governments, and the company have offered no explanation as to why their equipment has apparently covertly gathering and transmitting facilities installed.
You're right of course. I was confusing the trade war and hijacking of data that led to the ban.
The story of the AU building is an interesting one and illustrates how we arrived here;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/Huawei

Top Bottom