Hub binding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

Hi guys,

I recently stripped down my nieces bike because it was 'hard to ride' I took the rear wheel off and its near impossible to spin the axle by hand sometimes. It spins then slowly binds almost completely then eases off again.

I've stripped the hub and cleaned/oiled the bearings then reset the cones and the only way I can loose the rub is to have the cones so loose that the wheel walks between them, which is not really rideable. Kinda feels like the axle is bent

Should I replace the axle or cones or bearings (or all). Or have I missed something obvious?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can you remove the axel and roll it on a flat surface - should be able to tell if bent - possibly markings/scrapes on axel.

You may be better off getting a new wheel.

OP
OP
D

david1701

thats very sensible, when i get into the workshop I'll do that.

The problem is its a 24" racing wheel with a screw on freehub so may well be a pain to replace and its not really worth the aggro to update the bike to stis for the amount she rides it (and her rate of growth- I have a 50cm ladies galaxy for that)

So if the axle is bent, it needs replacing, I guess cones and bearings too. What are the odds that the cups/hub have been destroyed by the bent axle?

OP
OP
D

david1701

I forgot to update the thread, sorry. All sorted the problem was simple stupidity, 9balls in the non drive side bearing and 11 in the drive side :O my bad I feel

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oops.

Managed to drop a bearing this week, ended up with 8 each side, then found 1 in the tray and realised there should have been 9 each side. Fortunately I did have spares.

OP
OP
D

david1701

:biggrin: feel very stupid, think I need long term to get a few sets of spare bearings to have about, also maybe a freewheel tool to service it properly.....

Top Bottom