Hub Gear Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Hi There

I have a Dawes Geneva which I've had since June. It has 7 speed Shimano Nexus internal hub gears. Had it serviced today and the bike shop replaced the brake and gear cables. When riding home, I noticed the 7 speed was now a 6 speed; 1st gear felt like 3rd, 2nd like 4th whilst 7th has disappeared. Am going to return it tomorrow but meanwhile, any ideas on what's gone wrong?

Cheers.

LondonCommuter

Its probably that they haven't adjusted the cable properly. Be careful - my 8 speed self-destructed shortly after a similar problem. I don't think the two were related but you never know!

MartinC

Über Member
Sounds like the cable hasn't been adjusted properly. Fortunately it's so far out that it's engaging the wrong gear rather than not engaging the gear properly (which will damage the hub). If you search the technical docs on the Shimano web site you'll find the instructions for adjustment. If you understand these you'll be able to check visually that the LBS have done the job properly. There are 2 red marks on the casssette joint where the cable meets the hub that must align when the twist grip is in the approprate gear (can't remember which from memory). Get then to adjust it properly otherwise you risk damaging the hub.

OP
OP
M

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
MartinC said:
Sounds like the cable hasn't been adjusted properly. Fortunately it's so far out that it's engaging the wrong gear rather than not engaging the gear properly (which will damage the hub). If you search the technical docs on the Shimano web site you'll find the instructions for adjustment. If you understand these you'll be able to check visually that the LBS have done the job properly. There are 2 red marks on the casssette joint where the cable meets the hub that must align when the twist grip is in the approprate gear (can't remember which from memory). Get then to adjust it properly otherwise you risk damaging the hub.

took it to the shop today and the bloke told me that the one who serviced it (who was absent today) did tell him about problems he was having. I have some instructions that came with the bike from Shimano - will check these out and may give them to him. Thanks (and to all of you) for the advice!

Top Bottom