Hub Gears and Drum Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why don’t e bikes come with the above.
The weight penalty is not a big issue and sue the minimal maintenance helps?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Plenty of ebikes come with hub gears.

My Riese and Muller has a Rohloff.

Cheaper makes tend to use the eight speed Shimano Nexus, which is also pretty bomb proof.

I'm guessing drum brakes might lack the extra stopping power needed for a heavy ebike, although marketing is probably the main reason.

Drum brakes are seen as old-fashioned.

As with most things ebike, push bike criteria applies.

Drum brakes are rarely fitted to push bikes.

Hub gears are dearer than derailers, so makers trying to hit a price point don't fit them - same as with push bikes.

Of all the brake types, drum brakes are the worst. My not-so-obvious exception is poorly-executed stamped-steel caliper brakes on kiddies bikes.

Why would you want to put this on a powerful, heavy bike? Further, how are you going to combine a geared hub with a drum brake?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have disk brakes and Shimano 6 speed Nexus gears on my Bike. Never had a problem with either in the nearly 4 years I have had the bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think there was a combined hub gear and back pedal brake which was fitted to some Dutch bikes.

Might have been usable in a flat country.

CXRAndy

Guru
Wife's ebike has 8 speed Nexus.

Im deciding to upgrade my single speed shopper with an Alfine 11 Di2. With this I'll gear down the bike to make it a tourer

keithmac

Guru
Gates Carbon Drive is the best bit about my commuter, maintenance free.

Drum brakes are terrible all round really, would be my last choice on any vehicle.

Top Bottom