Hub or cassette problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glyn

Regular
My cassette will freely spin in both directions, would this suggest to you that this is a hub problem? Sadly I don’t have the tools to dismantle (have ordered chain whip and cassette removal tool) was about to order a new cassette when a light came on and I thought maybe it’s the hub

As you may have guessed a beginner at this maintenance game

All help appreciated, regards Glyn

assuming you have a 'modern' style freehub, then the problem will be with the ratchet pawls inside.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's a freehub.

How feasible it is to fix depends on what brand of hub it is.
Shimano freehubs are not generally maintainable - it requires a special tool to get inside, and the tools haven't been sold for 10 years or more, so you have to make your own. Instead you have to replace the freehub, which is removable with a 10mm allen key after you've taken the axle out. If the problem is that the pawls are gummed up with old oil you may get somewhere by squirting WD40 or similar in through any likely gaps (followed by oil for the longer term if it does free up).

Some other brands of hub can be maintained quite easily

OP
OP
Glyn

Glyn

Regular
Many thanks to you both; hopefully I’ll have the tools tomorrow. The bike is a Matts 20 Merida mountain bike, not sure of the year because the colour scheme don’t seam to match up, any ways I digress. The cassette is a Shimano CS-HG30-8I so with a bit of luck it’s been fitted to a Shimano hub I’ll try cleaning it first and will let you know how I get on

Kindest regards Glyn

Wester

Guru
A friend of mine had the same problem awhileback and wastold in the LBS that it was not worth repairing the damage

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your other option, assuming the wheel isn't too old, and the freehub can't be fixed with a good old oiling, is to buy a whole new hub - they work out cheaper than a freehub, and just swap the freehub over !

OP
OP
Glyn

Glyn

Regular
Thanks folks, ordered a tool kit from Halfords that was a mistake I wasn’t expecting much for £24 (20% discount) but I thought it would get me going and I’d replace the tools with better ones as I could afford them, the whip chain has started to fall apart already.

I took the wheel into the shop with me to make sure the cassette removal tool would fit and with half a hope the mechanic might free up the cassette (I’d seen on the videos the ginormus wrenches being used) no such luck but he did offer to sell me a new cassette because that was the problem “without a doubt”, thankfully a younger guy put him right

Got home, removed the cassette and now I’m looking for somewhere to put my new 10mm Allen key (behave yourself) ok, what happens if I take that nut off? Wow! How did they manage to get so many ball bearings in there?

Gave it good soak with WD40 but no luck, considered going for a rebuild but now feeling rather faint hearted decided on a new wheel

All the best Glyn

boydj

Legendary Member
I had that problem with my son's mtb - shimano cassette / freewheel which had not been used for a couple of years. I took the freehub off and dribbled some light oil in there and it freed up the pawls eventually. Got it all back together again without too many problems as well.

Top Bottom