Hubbub Shimergo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If I Hubbub a 9sp Campagnolo Ergopower with a 9sp Shimano Sora rear mech will that work? I only need it good enough to get me by until I get a chance to build up a new wheel, then it's going fully Campagnolo.

Ta :okay:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
If I Hubbub a 9sp Campagnolo Ergopower with a 9sp Shimano Sora rear mech will that work? I only need it good enough to get me by until I get a chance to build up a new wheel, then it's going fully Campagnolo.

Ta :okay:

I think a 9 speed would work with a 10 speed ergo shifters and hubhub derailleur but maybe you can try a 7 speed cassette.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think a 9 speed would work with a 10 speed ergo shifters and hubhub derailleur but maybe you can try a 7 speed cassette.
Yes, you're right if you want to achieve perfect shifting. But how about this:

Cable pull(9sp ergo) = 3mm
Pull ratio(Hubbub) = 1.6
Mech travel = 3mm x 1.6 = 4.8mm
Sprocket pitch(9sp Shimano) = 4.35mm
Error per click = 4.8mm - 4.35mm = 0.45mm

I forget about the sprockets at either end of the cassette, which I don't need anyway. I set the limit screws on the mech to index sprockets 2 and 8. Then I've only got five sprockets to think about. Set indexing on the middle sprocket, then the maximum total error is 2 x 0.45mm = 0.90mm on sprockets 3 and 7, which I should be able to live with. I've then got a useable, if not ideal, seven speed system. Sound reasonable?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
What's this Devillery you are talking about. Hell is your first stop :evil:
Bike gets used every day. I don't have time to rebuild the wheel with a baby to look after. I'm replacing the groupset literally piece by piece as I get five minutes here and there but need to keep the bike rideable as I do it. I'm currently sat in the park on my lunch hour filing cable outers smooth since I know I wont have time when I get home. Currently the bike has a disconnected left brake/shifter, Campag triple crankset and mech limited to middle ring, Sora rear mech and cassette. So about four useable gears but enough to get me home:smile: .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bike gets used every day. I don't have time to rebuild the wheel with a baby to look after. I'm replacing the groupset literally piece by piece as I get five minutes here and there but need to keep the bike rideable as I do it. I'm currently sat in the park on my lunch hour filing cable outers smooth since I know I wont have time when I get home. Currently the bike has a disconnected left brake/shifter, Campag triple crankset and mech limited to middle ring, Sora rear mech and cassette. So about four useable gears but enough to get me home:smile: .

Excuses excuses. You are not going to heaven, ever ever never :hello:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Baby. Get it holding the tools. Wait till you get a teenager. They won't help.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Excuses excuses. You are not going to heaven, ever ever never :hello:
This one's for you
20151016_174415.jpg

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think this link probably tells you everything you need to know, just scroll down to 'Shimano mechs'.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo
I need an 8sp cassette for it to work properly (sprocket pitch 4.8mm). I think I'm going to try the above bodge and see if it works. I think even if I can only get five sprockets indexing properly, I should be able to use two of the chainrings (it's an SS mech so using the full triple's out of the question) which will give me ten useable gears which should get me by. If I can stretch it to fourteen that'll be awesome.

Or I stick with the current left ergo / right sti setup just to annoy @fossyant :evil:

Top Bottom