Hubs Sora - 105 5800 spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

I wonder if you anyone can tell me, if I replace my back wheel which has a 9 speed Sora cassette with a wheel that has a 11 speed hub (105 5800) is there a detriment, i.e. does it working, rely on the derailleur stop setting, to prevent the chain coming off? I don't want to change the group set, just the wheel.
I've watched Youtube vids to see how changing cassettes over is done, but cant't find one that deals with issue of spacing for different cassettes. If anyone has a link that would be much appreciated.

boydj

Legendary Member
You'll should have a spacer on the hub before the cassette goes on. You should get one with the wheel, or your lbs can provide one. You may then need to adjust the high and low screws and the indexing if the cassette ends up in a slightly different position to the original, starting with loosening and refixing the cable to the rear mech.

Tim Hall

It's a bit unclear from your post @Okeydokey whether you mean to put a 9 speed cassette onto the 11 speed hub or not. If you don't you will, as @User alludes to, need new shifters too.This article suggests Shimano 9 speed are on 4.35mm pitch, while Shimano 11 speed are 3.74mm.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

That's what I was hoping to achieve @Tim Hall l hope to be moving my current 9 speed cassette onto a new wheel with an 11 speed hub.
So the 9 speed cassette won't be getting any wider, so the pitch difference shouldn't matter, the article suggests 'Note: The term pitch in these tables means inter-cog center-to-center spacing'. My interpretation is that the pitch (width) of cassette is the same. So I need to ensure the cassette is fixed in a similar place on the 11 speed hub as it was on the 9 speed hub. Hence the need for a spacer or two, but where would they go, I would have thought against the QR?

Top Bottom