Huddersfield to Leeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Define 'best'!

Easiest, safest, quickest, most scenic, on road/off road...?

Centre to centre?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
While you think about it, THIS is cycle.travel's suggestion.

That takes you up the Spen Valley greenway (NCN66 north), linking to CS1 via the RH footbath on the Rooley Lane ring road, then Cutler Heights Lane/Dick Lane then onto the Cycle Superhighway (CS1). Safe on the greenway, then either brilliant/dangerous on the Cycle Superhighway. In Armley drop down Canal Lane onto the new cycle lane alongside Kirkstall Lane and the Emmerdale studios.

It's longer, but safer.

Easy and safe please.

If you're looking for easy/safe there's a direct, but less safe, route using the A62. Quicker, but dangerous.

The safer/easier route is using the Calder Valley greenway (NCN66), then through towards Ossett (NCN69) and up to Leeds Road. From there it's a wiggly route through Middleton / Belle Isle through Middleton Park/Hunslet or down Belle Isle Road, then onto the NCN66 and CS1/Kirkstall Road for the last bit. Leeds Road is the only bit that's a bit risky, with the roadside cycle lane often having cars in it.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

That takes you up the Spen Valley greenway (NCN66 north), linking to CS1 via the RH footbath on the Rooley Lane ring road, then Cutler Heights Lane/Dick Lane then onto the Cycle Superhighway (CS1). Safe on the greenway, then either brilliant/dangerous on the Cycle Superhighway. In Armley drop down Canal Lane onto the new cycle lane alongside Kirkstall Lane and the Emmerdale studios.

It's longer, but safer.

If you're looking for easy/safe there's a direct, but less safe, route using the A62. Quicker, but dangerous.

The safer/easier route is using the Calder Valley greenway (NCN66), then through towards Ossett (NCN69) and up to Leeds Road. From there it's a wiggly route through Middleton / Belle Isle through Middleton Park/Hunslet or down Belle Isle Road, then onto the NCN66 and CS1/Kirkstall Road for the last bit. Leeds Road is the only bit that's a bit risky, with the roadside cycle lane often having cars in it.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DRM

Guru
If you can get to Leeds urban bike park, you can ride off road to Belle Isle/Hunslet Carr past the track of Middleton railway, then ride through Hunslet towards the Suzuki car dealers, and get on to the canal into Leeds, I wouldn’t recommend Thorpe Lane at Tingley into Middleton as it’s not known as the widow maker on strava for nothing

OP
OP
B

Biker man

If you can get to Leeds urban bike park, you can ride off road to Belle Isle/Hunslet Carr past the track of Middleton railway, then ride through Hunslet towards the Suzuki car dealers, and get on to the canal into Leeds, I wouldn’t recommend Thorpe Lane at Tingley into Middleton as it’s not known as the widow maker on strava for nothing
Thank you for the tip .

DCLane

@DRM - I've tended to find that if you keep it wider and go fast enough it's been OK and I've used that route for about 8 years. The alternative is using the A653 dual-carriageway between Tingley and the White Rose Centre. Now that is dicing with death.

DRM

Guru
@DRM - I've tended to find that if you keep it wider and go fast enough it's been OK and I've used that route for about 8 years. The alternative is using the A653 dual-carriageway between Tingley and the White Rose Centre. Now that is dicing with death.
There is a cycle path that goes down Dewsbury Road /A653, as for going down the dual carriageway, you’d have to have a death wish, even worse is riding up it on the dual carriageway, if you go behind the Village Hotel, there’s a cycle path that starts between the gates of Available Car and Du Puy, go to the end turn right and follow through Capitol Park to Dewsbury Road, I’ve used it on the MTB to get down to Leeds Urban Bike Park, there’s an off road trail opposite the new MacDonalds, that gets you on to the Bodmin estate which brings you out opposite the bike park gates.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

There is a cycle path that goes down Dewsbury Road /A653, as for going down the dual carriageway, you’d have to have a death wish, even worse is riding up it on the dual carriageway, if you go behind the Village Hotel, there’s a cycle path that starts between the gates of Available Car and Du Puy, go to the end turn right and follow through Capitol Park to Dewsbury Road, I’ve used it on the MTB to get down to Leeds Urban Bike Park, there’s an off road trail opposite the new MacDonalds, that gets you on to the Bodmin estate which brings you out opposite the bike park gates.
Thanks for the tip

DCLane

@DRM - the route's there but it's off-road. My commute is much quicker on a road bike or, in the winter, a cross bike with road/cross tyres.

I do ride up/down on the A653 but only where time is very limited. It's possible but imo unsafe. Leeds City Council through Connecting Leeds is finally listening and considering a proper cycle lane down one side.

Top Bottom