Huge FTP increase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gam001

Über Member
Stick with it and you will see gains over a 3-6 month period. My FTP went from 230 to 295 from October 2012 - March 2013. This was using a build and a base build structure.

Since then i took a break from the intensity of TR/turbo and done 95% of my riding outdoors - PB'ing most things in the process. Bearing that in mind i have just started up again on Trainerroad, as the weather has been darker and crapper, and i had to drop my FTP to 280 - a drop of 15. I simply wasn't used to the intensity, i was a mess after starting the 40k TT program. It takes several months to get back into it IMO.

I think the key to big gains is to proper bury yourself into the sessions. They properly hurt but the result is worth it.

Remember to think recovery meal/shakes after workouts too so that you are ready for the next day. ^_^

This is exactly my story too.
I'm starting my winter turbo regime again tomorrow - it will be a shock to the system for the first few sessions :laugh: Hoping to get LT up to 325w by March ^_^
I wrote about how I did it in the thread below, which may be of interest to you (there's other good stuff in the thread too!)
Basically, it's about hardwork, consistency and patience.
Good luck :thumbsup:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/am-i-training-right.128907/

OP
OP
Chris432626

Chris432626

I'm starting my winter turbo regime again tomorrow - it will be a shock to the system for the first few sessions :laugh: Hoping to get LT up to 325w by March ^_^
I wrote about how I did it in the thread below, which may be of interest to you (there's other good stuff in the thread too!)

Thanks for the link, very useful info.
I'm trying to get my average speed up for Ironman distance, my plan is to get my 60-120 minutes power up then concentrate on maintaining the power over greater distances once the weather cheers up.

It is indeed a shock to the system. In fact it was a rude awakening.

At present i am diluting some TT specific sessions with outside riding. I plan to start a 6 week intensive block of E3 training solutions (power accelerator) in December. The goal will be to increase power over short high intensity intervals which will then be the base for longer, more TT specific, sessions.

It is going to be hard work indeed, again. The rewards though should make it all worthwhile.

Some people use winter to work on "slow base miles". If you already have a good aerobic base then this is a waste of valuable time IMO. This time can be used to work on weaknesses and/or specific targets before the season begins.

Look forward to hearing of your progress @gam001

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Base miles are great if you enjoy them! You don't have to just ride around at 15 mph cursing the displeasure of riding 100 miles in the cold! I think of them as an opportunity...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That being said Robert i don't think you are a subscriber to a winter full of base riding. I know better. ;)

No I am not, I still ride hard when I get chance and do 1 hard session per week, plus I will sit on the front of a faster club run for longer than other people when it isn't a problem, so I get the hurt, but I do still enjoy pootling about sometimes. Last weekend I did 3 rides, one that was fairly brisk which I sat on the front for a lot of, then 2 other rides (over 100 mile in total) with average speeds under 15 mph which were extremely easy and it was not a displeasure in the slightest. The key is good company or an interesting route! I prefer the former.

No I am not, I still ride hard when I get chance and do 1 hard session per week, plus I will sit on the front of a faster club run for longer than other people when it isn't a problem, so I get the hurt, but I do still enjoy pootling about sometimes. Last weekend I did 3 rides, one that was fairly brisk which I sat on the front for a lot of, then 2 other rides (over 100 mile in total) with average speeds under 15 mph which were extremely easy and it was not a displeasure in the slightest. The key is good company or an interesting route! I prefer the former.
I love riding solo as i find the solitude incredibly peaceful and rewarding. Most of my hard work goes into solo rides whereas club rides tend to be a more social occasion, especially in winter. The great thing about cycling is that you can take what you want from it. Some weeks, club rides can be my weekly social life!!:laugh:

VamP

Banned
This.

I just don't have time for long rides. I rarely manage more than 70 in a day. Luckily it's not really necessary, otherwise I guess I'd have to find it somehow. Overnight instead of sleeping perhaps.

Pros have the time - which is why many of them knock out around 25+ hours per week training - most of which is well below threshold pace. Base work is actually pretty useful if you can do lots of it.
Yeh the pro's will use it for many reason, not least so that their bodies are used to the hours of a stage race and a 3 week Tour. A pro would also use these miles to keep trim and using fat as a main source of fuel, something our bodies can be trained to do.

Again though, for most of us not riding tours of 6 hour stage races, base miles are not going to be productive in terms of time spent.

Top Bottom