Hummingbird and other Brompton alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deejayen

Veteran
I'm half-considering buying a Brompton. My current bikes are recumbents, but I also have an old F-frame Moulton and a TSR fixie. I once had a short ride on a Birdy (not sure which vintage) and it seemed very nice, although the steering seemed a bit odd on the one I tried.

I'd quite like a Brompton because of the fold, but I'm drawn to various alternatives because of their supposedly better ride.

I probably couldn't justify one, but is the Hummingbird a decent ride? I think the choice would be a Brompton, Birdy or Hummingbird (or keep my TSR and fabricate a couple of bags to allow it to be more easily carried around in a car).

A YouTuber I follow in Japan has just taken delivery of a Mobot Royale, which is basically a Brompton clone: the explanation given by the company is that the patent has run out on the Brompton design:

They only make the 16" wheeled version though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are some nice Terns and Moultons.

. But I like my 6 speed Brompton

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks for that. Yes, I see there are a few Brompton 'clones' available overseas now, including titanium framesets. They're obviously an option, but I'm probably less interested in them than the original Brompton and the other bikes I mentioned.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Kinetics in Glasgow currently have a one off Brompton with 20" wheels and a fancy spec. Built up by Ben himself with a fancy price to match. Very nice looking tho'.

Top Bottom