Hungarian ambulance rushing for a 1 year old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

This driver is really unsafe. When he takes turns i'm surprised the ambulance does not take off.
Wrong way round roundabouts, nearly spinning off on turns. Nearly hitting most cars. I give him a week before he kills someone.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Ive just watched the whole thing and thought it was an excellent bit of controlled driving and take my hat off to him, and if it was my 1 year old they were coming for, I would like them to drive like that, not the namby pamby dogooders way of driving where they have to stick to a thousand rules and fill in a risk assessment and method statement before being allowed to turn the key and start the ambulance.

Rykard

Veteran
couple of things struck me, the standard of driving of the other drivers, so much more aware than in this country, everyone getting out of the way. The wrong way round the roundabout at about 11:30 - it was the shortest route as it was almost straight and there was a truck in the way for the 'correct' route, the driver puts lot of trust in the other drivers esp. through the red lights, in this country they come to a stop almost..

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've watched the first few minutes and I have to say that I didn't see anything that alarmed me. IMO the camera view gives a very misleading view of the road making progress look quicker than it really is as objects whip past the restricted window of vision. The driver is making good, steady progress without having to make sudden manoeuvres to react to unexpected events. Don't forget, the drivers field of view is massively different to that given by the camera so he is using a lot more information to make his decisions than we have available to us when evaluating his performance.

I am really impressed by the actions of the motoring general public in this video, they just seem to melt out of the way. My experience in the UK is that as soon as an emergency vehicle approaches, around half the drivers on the road panic and do the silliest things that actually block the road (like pulling from the blocked lane they are in to the empty lane next to them that the emergency vehicle could have used to breeze past until it was blocked by panic stricken motorists).

While I'm having a rant, the other typical occurrence is that as I actually use my rear view mirror occasionally I will see an ambulance struggling to get through the congestion behind me so I pull aside in good time only to have 2 or 3 of the cars behind me jump into the space I create as they have just seen an opportunity to get ahead by one cars length!

As DiddlyDodds has already said, I would be really happy if I or a family member needed an emergency ambulance to know they were driving quickly and safely to get to us.

Monsieur

My daughter has an infantile convulsion when she was one year old - if the ambulance friver had driven anything less than the guy above I'd not be a parent now.

If you think that there is a problem with this guy's driving in an emergency call I hope you never have need of the emergency services.

Poor post from the OP but a good video all the same.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Driving seems fine to me. Wrong way round roundabouts for sure but it was the shortest way and the route was clear. The Hungarian drivers seem to get well out of the way and nobody seemed to venture across their green light when they could hear the sirens. I hope that the 1 year old was ok.

mattobrien

Guru
That basically looks like my daily commute, but with a siren :whistle:

As for the video, good driving and forward observation. Makes good use of the whole of the road. As has been already said, very good awareness by the other road users.

This is a professional driver who is clearly trained to a high standard. What may look dangerous to the OP may be well within the safety margin of the driver.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Agreed, good fast driving.

I've driven a lot in Hungary and the new EU standard, post-Soviet roads are really excellent and have very little traffic.

i have shown my son this video , he is a paramedic and rapid response abulance driver , he says pretty much as others have said, if more drivers in this country responded like those in the video his job would be a damn sight easier , as skol pointed out, many times another motorist jumps into the space that someone created to let an ambulance pass ,or just stop in their tracks in the middle of the road.:wacko:

on another note , a couple of weeks ago , returning from a call,driving the ambulance , he was stopped at traffic lights with one car in front of him ,when an ambulance, complete with sirens came from the right , the car driver in front of my son thought it was the ambulance behind that had put on the sirens and pulled out into the path of the ambulance coming from his right missing it by inches .

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
i have shown my son this video , he is a paramedic and rapid response abulance driver , he says pretty much as others have said, if more drivers in this country responded like those in the video his job would be a damn sight easier , as skol pointed out, many times another motorist jumps into the space that someone created to let an ambulance pass ,or just stop in their tracks in the middle of the road.:wacko:

on another note , a couple of weeks ago , returning from a call,driving the ambulance , he was stopped at traffic lights with one car in front of him ,when an ambulance, complete with sirens came from the right , the car driver in front of my son thought it was the ambulance behind that had put on the sirens and pulled out into the path of the ambulance coming from his right missing it by inches .

Maybe I stand corrected. Although driving like that could be totally feasible there. I couldn't see it happen here. Some idiot would hit the ambulance as once drivers in this country hear a siren they are like scared sheep. They move in blocks and block everything. Eventually someone would hit something.

Maybe I stand corrected. Although driving like that could be totally feasible there. I couldn't see it happen here. Some idiot would hit the ambulance as once drivers in this country hear a siren they are like scared sheep. They move in blocks and block everything. Eventually someone would hit something.

as he says , its a small minority of motorists that behave like idiots upon hearing/seeing an emergency vehicle, that COULD make a difference in any given situation. MOST drivers are obliging:thumbsup: .

Monsieur

It is sometimes quite difficult to work out where sirens are actually coming from sometimes though to have not seen a moving ambualnce isn't particularly good driving

Top Bottom