Hungry dog..expensive dog !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
Mine was cage trained but I don't use one now. He's not a chewer but he does have a keen interest in food. His favourite job is frisking the kids pockets outside school whilst pretending to enjoy being stroked.

Funny how he same breed of dog can be so different, My last two labs were voracious eaters and would beg for food at the table and watch every mouthful you take. Not jake, he lays under the table and doesnt bat an eyelid.

Our first one was so bad i saw once you should put a tiny bit of chilli sauce on some bread, put it somewhere he could get it, but shouldnt if you know what i mean. I retired and waited....he immediately got up and ate the bread and chilli :cry:
They suggested if the dog does that, put a little more chilli on it and do the same again.
He did the same again :laugh:
Put a bit more on again...he did the same again :biggrin::angry: this time he struggled but gulped it down voraciously ;)

I gave up.:sad:

My last one, i'd just made a sandwich and was walking through to the room as the front door knocked. I put the plate on the stairs and answered the door. I stood talking to a neighbours daughter..and her face suddenly changed to one of shock...i turned round to see the dog walking off with my sandwich :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jakes different, he will take stuff off the floor, but doesnt beg or generally steal food.

Miraculously, the banknotes are 90% there, serial numbers and all, just the odd strip missing, so there shouldnt be any problem getting it sorted.

longers

Legendary Member
My mum and dad have got a greedy lab. She's not perfectly trained and is seriously greedy. Mums horse got castrated and the dog had had them away and munched them while he got stitched up. If you left a fifteen kg sack of dog food open she'd do her best to finish it in one go.

It bugs me when strangers give your dog food without asking.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
longers said:
My mum and dad have got a greedy lab. She's not perfectly trained and is seriously greedy. Mums horse got castrated and the dog had had them away and munched them while he got stitched up. If you left a fifteen kg sack of dog food open she'd do her best to finish it in one go.

It bugs me when strangers give your dog food without asking.
xx(:laugh: Oh gawld :biggrin::biggrin:

gbb said:
Funny how he same breed of dog can be so different, My last two labs were voracious eaters and would beg for food at the table and watch every mouthful you take. Not jake, he lays under the table and doesnt bat an eyelid.

Mine lies under the table and whilst he doesn't beg, it's pretty clear why he's there. He will also come to the fridge when I get the chicken or cheese out, nothing else just that but then I normally chuck him a small piece, so my fault but what the hell. A single 'cushion' command sends him back to his spot though if needed. Unlike Norm's, mine quite often gets leftovers, peas, chicken, broccoli and stuff, no wheat or sweetcorn.

Norm

longers said:
Mums horse got castrated and the dog had had them away and munched them while he got stitched up.
We had a King Charles did that on the farm when one of our bullocks turned out to be more complete than he should have been. It was funny as heck, my uncle and I had crated this half-entire bull, the vet cut the the testicle off and put it on the ground, did the stitching then turned round to bag up the bollock. We couldn't find it anywhere. Half an hour later, I went indoors for a coffee and my mum asks who had given the dog fresh meat. She hadn't realised what it was so left the dog to finish it.

Out Lab was trained to leave the room if we were sitting at the table (which didn't happen often, just special occasions) and he wouldn't even look at us if we had a carpet picnic watching telly. However, if anything went anywhere near his food bowl, it was gone before it hit the china. :laugh:

Crackle said:
Unlike Norm's, mine quite often gets leftovers, peas, chicken, broccoli and stuff, no wheat or sweetcorn.
Ours do get the leftovers (where appropriate) but always in their own bowl.

longers

Legendary Member
Is sweetcorn bad for dogs?

Since my nieces have come along one dog is allowed in the room at gran and grandads after the meal to hoover up the mess. It's like when they hide porridge for bears in zoos as there could be treasure anywhere.

Norm said:
Ours do get the leftovers (where appropriate) but always in their own bowl.

Oh right, misread or misunderstood, same here then.

longers said:
Is sweetcorn bad for dogs?

As I understand it, they can't digest it, so large quantities of undigested sweetcorn in dogs gut is not a good thing.

longers

Legendary Member
The greedy lab eats the cobs if she gets chance.

I think it was eighteen golf balls they took out of a GSD near Prestbury. He happened to live on or near the course but developed quite a taste for them and there's been a few dogs that have swallowed lots and lots of stones.

Top Bottom