Hungry dog..expensive dog !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
;):ohmy::ohmy:
Jake our 6 month old Labrador has been so well behaved in so many ways, has just shown his naughty side :becool:
My son had £65 and his bank card on his bedroom floor (why there i don't know !!!)
Jakes had it...torn it all to bits but thankfully not swallowed much of it.
I've got a load of shredded bank notes i'm trying to tape back together :wacko: Do banks still exchange damaged notes if their still mostly there ?

'That'll learn you to watch the dog' were my parting words to my son....

dudi

Hi GBB... sorry to hear about your dog's enjoyment at your expense - quite literally.

Banks should exchange a bank note for you if you can show them two pieces with matching serial numbers... if there's other pieces missing i'm sure they'll understand.

They ought to be OK with doing it in any bank - but I would go to your own bank to make it easier.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Labs are renowned for being dustbins, they will, and often do attempt to eat almost anything.

gbb said:
;):ohmy::ohmy:
Jake our 6 month old Labrador has been so well behaved in so many ways, has just shown his naughty side :becool:
My son had £65 and his bank card on his bedroom floor (why there i don't know !!!)
I've got a load of shredded bank notes i'm trying to tape back together :wacko: Do banks still exchange damaged notes if their still mostly there ?

Won't teach him anything if you sort it out for him, will it? Let him tape them back up or lose the money.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
£65! be grateful you dont have a Beagle!

Mine is 10 years old and she has cost me around 4K!!!

She has a penchant for my dad's golfing gloves and if we are there and he leaves the garage door or cupboard open she will destroy the golf bag (with my dad they are usually top end ones) to get to the soft sweaty leather of the glove! cost to me = approx £500 in golf bags/gloves.

My folks paid around 3.5k to have my grandfathers pianola restored after he died and she chewed the legs and back to crap (must have treated it with pedigree chum flavour varnish! cost to me £750 in further repairs/restoration

She was hit by a car at 50mph when she jumped a 5ft fence to chase a fox and as I had no pet insurance the initial vets bill (plaster casts, 100 ish stitches) was £1.2k

She will also eat money if she see's it laying around and she likes certain types of aged leather as she will leave some shoes alone for ages, then for no reason just destroy them!

She ate a whole gammon joint last christmas day (for 10 people) and seemingly opened a cupboard and ate my brothers wedding cake!

Having said that, I love her, she is brilliant!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Twenty Inch said:
Won't teach him anything if you sort it out for him, will it? Let him tape them back up or lose the money.

Don't think i don't know that :smile:
I'm a do'er...sadly he's not. You can't change that in a person (very easily)

Luckily Jakes shredded them, not eaten them, so i have managed to put it all back together, almost completely.
Just off for a form from the PO, then off in the post for replacement (hopefully)

Norm

Labs, like any dogs, learn most of their behaviour. Because many people expect them to be dustbins, many people treat them like dustbins and don't admonish bad habits, using their breed as an excuse. Train it, starting now, and it will know it's boundaries. Our lab could be left in a room with a plate of dinner on the floor and we knew the food would be safe. Nothing was given to him from human plates, his food was always put in his bowl, especially the scraps and everything was wonderful.

The other thing is to consider a crate. Our dogs love their crates, sleep in them during the day and the current mutt is trained to go straight into his crate when the doorbell goes. Being able to invite visitors into the house without them getting mugged by an excited dog is very useful, especially if you have kids who invite friends round. He considers the crate to be his home, his den, and has never stressed when in there, so we can now leave him in there for a couple of hours without worrying about what he might have eaten when we get back. We have another crate in the back of the car, which is again fantastic as you can open the boot safely without any chance of him jumping out, and it means that we can put other stuff in the back of the car with him, knowing it won't crowd him or fall on him. He'd probably also be better protected in an accident.

A crate costs about as much as Jake shredded. :smile: :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
gbb said:
:biggrin::ohmy::ohmy:
Jake our 6 month old Labrador has been so well behaved in so many ways, has just shown his naughty side :biggrin:
I've got a load of shredded bank notes i'm trying to tape back together :smile: Do banks still exchange damaged notes if their still mostly there ?

Bet he only swallowed the serial numbers! You'd need rubber gloves to check!:smile:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Norm said:
Labs, like any dogs, learn most of their behaviour. Because many people expect them to be dustbins, many people treat them like dustbins and don't admonish bad habits, using their breed as an excuse. Train it, starting now, and it will know it's boundaries. Our lab could be left in a room with a plate of dinner on the floor and we knew the food would be safe. Nothing was given to him from human plates, his food was always put in his bowl, especially the scraps and everything was wonderful.

The other thing is to consider a crate. Our dogs love their crates, sleep in them during the day and the current mutt is trained to go straight into his crate when the doorbell goes. Being able to invite visitors into the house without them getting mugged by an excited dog is very useful, especially if you have kids who invite friends round. He considers the crate to be his home, his den, and has never stressed when in there, so we can now leave him in there for a couple of hours without worrying about what he might have eaten when we get back. We have another crate in the back of the car, which is again fantastic as you can open the boot safely without any chance of him jumping out, and it means that we can put other stuff in the back of the car with him, knowing it won't crowd him or fall on him. He'd probably also be better protected in an accident.

A crate costs about as much as Jake shredded. :headshake: :rolleyes:

Jake has a crate and its one of the best things we've done. I wasnt keen at first, but they're quite happy in one and as you say its comforting for them to have what they think of as a secure place. We quickly got him off the chewing stage by always having chewie toys etc and letting him know all other chewing is bad, he walks brilliantly between us off the lead with a little voice control, doesnt pull on the lead (which my last one was a terror for)....no, this was an unusual incident with the money.
Otherwise he's been fabulous, the best Lab we've had for behaviour. We dont feed him our food, he only gets his correct food at the correct times....he's going to be a blinder if he carrys on as he has up to now (barring the hiccup of course)

Llama

Veteran
i think you can just send all the bits to the bank - silver strips and serial numbers will try them how much - i think they forward to bank of england to confirm and return cash

Norm

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to judge or preach, reading back, it looks like I did a bit of both.:biggrin:

Having a "cave" is excellent, isn't it. I wish we could get our current thing (a Vizsla) to be a bit better on the lead. He's about 18 months and full of enthusiasm for anything and everything. :laugh:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Crackle said:
BBeagle owners Wigsie, they're the ones walking around with a lead and no dog aren't they?

Always! in fields and low level scrub/heather she is fine, but in woods its a nightmare!

I have been known to leave her running round baying a number of times, gone back to the car and driven back home for a bacon butty and a cup of tea then gone back to the car park later to pick her up.

Mine was cage trained but I don't use one now. He's not a chewer but he does have a keen interest in food. His favourite job is frisking the kids pockets outside school whilst pretending to enjoy being stroked.

Top Bottom