My battle with a 'devil dog' in Accrington town centre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
At 4.30 this afternoon I saw one of those Pocket Bullies approaching me and my little dog. It was on a long lead with two chavvy types. Panic set in as the dog's lead was about 10 foot long and it looked like it was out for a fight! Luckily for me this monster ignored my mutt and instead headed towards a tiny Yorkshire Terrier being walked by an elderly woman. I shouted at her to "pick your dog up now"!, but she seemed confused and probably thought I was being aggressive or something. She carried on walking with her little dog as devil dog made a bee line for it. I couldn't just watch what was obviously going to unfold so I handed my dog to a friend I was with and pegged it over to the woman and her Yorkshire Terrier and grabbed the dog off the floor. She shouted at me to leave her dog alone, not knowing what was about to happen, but she soon realised when devil dog was about 12 foot away. As I picked it up the Bully dog lunged at the little dog in my hand, so I turned my back on the dog. All this was happening while the 2 chavs made no attempt to haul the dog' long lead in, instead saying something about "he only wants to play for f..ks sake". Anyway, to cut a long story short in the melee I suffered a few bites on my right hand, either from the Bully dog or the terrified, but fighting back Yorkie. I think they were from the Yorkie as they aren't that bad, but still quite a sight. After this incident I made my way to Accrington Victoria Hospital's small injuries department, where they cleaned and bandaged it. This incident happened in full view of one of those high up CCTV police cameras. I'm now thinking of approaching the police as surely this incident should've been caught on that camera. After this incident a bloke approached me asking if i was ok and even offered to drive me to the hospital, but I declined the offer as I would've only had to go back after the hospital to get my car. He also told me that this dog had been seized by the police for being un-muzzled (as it as today) but handed back on the promise from the owner that he would keep it muzzled, but not today it seems! As for the woman and her dog, she thanked me and left safely with her little dog, thankfully unharmed, physically if not mentally.

nc_ohc=hWhil5q0AN0AX9wQvLI&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=T-Iy55zitMAAX8ft5wq&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey Accy. I hope you put on your best Leslie Phillips act for the nurses.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Bet that got your heart rate up!
Well done for removing the small dogs from danger.

Funnily enough I didn't feel any pain and only noticed the bites after the incident had ended. I haven't had a pain killer even when offered one at the hospital. They also told me that I didn't need a tetanus jab as I had one 8 years ago and they cover you for 10 years. As for the heart rate, I don't know, but I suppose with the flowing adrenaline it probably was.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I will do, but I won't expect any joy. Although I'm sure that with me being bitten and not 'just' a dog they have to investigate. Especially if it's a dog known to them, due to their supposed muzzling order.

Quite. It wasn't like this was an isolated incident, if the third party's report about muzzling is true.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I will do, but I won't expect any joy. Although I'm sure that with me being bitten and not 'just' a dog they have to investigate. Especially if it's a dog known to them, due to their supposed muzzling order.

Accy, this is really serious mate it's a dangerous dog being'handled' by dangerous people. If the police aren't interested go straight to the police and crime commissioner. And the press.

I've been there myself. The police were all over it.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Quite. It wasn't like this was an isolated incident, if the third party's report about muzzling is true.

I suppose I should've asked the owner of the Yorkshire Terrier for her name etc. After all, I think she does slightly 'owe me one', but not only that but if she also made a complaint then the more the police would have to act.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done for stepping in to protect the old lady's dog! I hope the bites heal well.

As for "Don't worry, he only wants to play!"... that is what the owner of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier said as it lunged at my sister's Border Terrier. Apparently, such 'playing' consisted of biting the smaller dog by the throat and tossing it about like a rag doll! My sister ended up with bites to her hands just like yours as she fought to get the dog off. It only stopped biting when its owner kicked it hard between the legs!

I was out on my bike a couple of weeks ago and saw two people walking small dogs. Nearby was another person walking an absolutely massive UNMUZZLED XL Bully. I couldn't help wondering what might happen if the big dog ended up within killing range of either of the smaller dogs...

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well done for stepping in to protect the old lady's dog! I hope the bites heal well.

As for "Don't worry, he only wants to play!"... that is what the owner of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier said as it lunged at my sister's Border Terrier. Apparently, such 'playing' consisted of biting the smaller dog by the throat and tossing it about like a rag doll! My sister ended up with bites to her hands just like yours as she fought to get the dog off. It only stopped biting when its owner kicked it hard between the legs!

I was out on my bike a couple of weeks ago and saw two people walking small dogs. Nearby was another person walking an absolutely massive UNMUZZLED XL Bully. I couldn't help wondering what might happen if the big dog ended up within killing range of either of the smaller dogs...

This 'must be muzzled' law is more or less impossible to police. It seems that hardly anyone is muzzling their XL Bully dogs as I've seen many such dogs unmuzzled since the law came in in the new year. The only time action is taken is when it's too late and the dog has already attacked someone, or attacked and killed another dog, or a cat.

Top Bottom