My battle with a 'devil dog' in Accrington town centre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was out on my bike a couple of weeks ago and saw two people walking small dogs. Nearby was another person walking an absolutely massive UNMUZZLED XL Bully. I couldn't help wondering what might happen if the big dog ended up within killing range of either of the smaller dogs...
Even when muzzled these dogs are still dangerous. They might not be able to bite, but then they use their claws to inflict damage. A small dog or a cat would be lucky to survive if a 7 or 8 stone Bully used its claws on them and some low life owners do sharpen their dog's claws to make them lethal.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Yorkshire terriers have a nasty bite, they were bred to kill rats in factories. One of my relatives had one and it destroyed a series of rubber dog chews. She eventually got it one designed for a rottweiler and it nearly destroyed that. The 'devil dog' could easily have come off worse.

Yorkshire terriers have a nasty bite, they were bred to kill rats in factories. One of my relatives had one and it destroyed a series of rubber dog chews. She eventually got it one designed for a rottweiler and it nearly destroyed that. The 'devil dog' could easily have come off worse.

Not all Yorkshire terriers! My gran went to buy one from a breeder but saw a female 4 year old being bothered by an 18 month old male. It looked terrified but was acting as a mother for the puppies from another dog who abandoned them, a really nice dog but obviously mistreated because it wasn't productive. My gran walked out with it having made the breeder accept a low price. The dog had been fed very cheap puppy food as they didn't really want it knowing it couldn't breed. My gran took it to the vets and it had rotten teeth. Once taken out the remaining teeth, 2 top either side and two bottom either side, really couldn't harm any human.

We used to get it to bite bite our curled index finger and rag our hand. Then it would stop and we would rag it. The dog loved that play, even if it ended up with the dog flying around by it's four remaining good teeth.

It later got another 2 teeth taken out and died a lot younger than my grandparents first Yorkie, probably because of its chest 4 years being so poor.

Anyway, a Yorkie is a small dog but you shouldn't treat it as one because they're tougher than their size and fluffy, lapdog looks. A diminutive, real dog! I expect those bites on Accy were from the Yorkie, but they're not as bad as they could be, the dog didn't really mean harm, unlike the bully dog.

Well done Accy, a hero!

It's only the XL's that are to be registered etc, so that leaves the pockets and the more regular sized (lab sized) still unregistered. Horrible dogs.

How many other breeds have been the latest devil dog? How many people have suffered live changing injuries or death from dogs not considered devil dogs of the day?

Once alsations / GSDs were the devil dogs to fear. Now they're weak hipped dogs that can barely trot around the Crufts show stage without its back end nearly caving in!

Perhaps the Kennel Club should recognise the breed and give it a breed standard. A few generations later an xl bully won't be able to fight its way out of a wet paper bag! :laugh:

Accy was ready to take on the dog and its handlers!

a1937444021_10.jpg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My advice, unpopular though it may be:

- report it to the Police, at least it willl be logged and add to the statistics
- next time, if there is a next time, leave the little dog to it, you could have got yourself killed or seriously injured

I worked with a short lass who had a doberman pinscher. Another dog attacked it and she stepped I between them. The bite and bruise convered her thigh completely apparently. She wasn't sure which dog did it. She thought it was her dog biting her as it tried to bite the other dog in defending itself.

I think the advice I took from that incident is that if you have two equally matched dogs having at it just leave them to it and definitely don't step in between them!

Top Bottom