My battle with a 'devil dog' in Accrington town centre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think the advice I took from that incident is that if you have two equally matched dogs having at it just leave them to it and definitely don't step in between them!
Many people view their dogs as family members, so that is like saying if your son/daughter is being viciously attacked by someone the same size, just stand back and wait to see who wins!

PS Though from a purely personal survival perspective, it is sound advice! I think that what my sister did when her dog was attacked was understandable (trying to pull the attacking dog's jaws open) but the other dog owner's approach was safer - kick the brute really hard in the b*ll*cks!!! :laugh:

Last edited:
I wouldn't leave it but, hopefully, I'd work with the other owner from the outside to pull them apart, not get in between. Mind you that would need someone to pull the other dog away while I'm doing that to mine.

Mind you my dog is a border terrier. Whilst small enough for a bigger dog to rag around it's got enough of a mean streak if threatened I'd not be sure a dog up to a lab size would come out of it unharmed. I've seen her make short shrift of a couple of black labs before now. She's got a long memory for a dog. When a very young and playful puppy she tried to get an elderly black lab to play on the canal towpath. The old dog was having none of it and ket out a loud and deep bark it surprised her enough to jump to the side, straight into the canal! She couldn't get out but the other dog owner fished her out all apologetically. However, ever since then our dog has not liked black labs. Other coloured labs are not an issue.
The good thing is our dog is small enough to lift up but tough enough to give bigger dogs enough of a doubt in most cases. Collies and fighting breeds apart!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I reported it to the police today and asked if that police cctv camera recorded the incident. They told me they'd have a look through it, at the time it happened, which was approximately 4.30. They told me to contact them again tomorrow to find out if the camera filmed the incident. I don't see why it wouldn't have done as it took place about 15 yards from the panoramic view camera. We wait to see if the incident was recorded. If it wasn't, then I can only think that the camera isn't filming all day and night long. 🤔

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Surprised he didn't see orf the dog by giving it a thorough thrashing with his cane.
On the topic of canes, I picked these three up in Accrington Antiques today for 15 quid. The bone handled one is pretty nice. The one with the human head on is I think supposed to be a matchstick. :okay:

nc_ohc=aciSqezMvwIAX_SBZIb&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=0TutT93_hroAX-sYI9V&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=XccE8ESFwRcAX92heuz&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=D8xHOMdT4HIAX8HsQAP&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=Oi51AFCZqF8AX8sQTzC&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Good on you for reporting Accy, if nothing else it helps the police build up a picture of where to focus resources and intelligence on the dog.

I did mention to them that one bloke told me the dog had been seized by the police then handed back to the owner after he supposedly promised to keep it muzzled. It seemed to ring a bell. Hopefully the incident will have been recorded and the owner of the dog will be known to them.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well done Accy. That lady will remember your kindness for ever. Good news on reporting the oiks and their dog to the police too.

I'm just glad I did my bit. I couldn't have stood there and watched the little dog being used as a toy by this aggressive Bully thing. I do however have a bit of sympathy for the dog as I bet it's had a crap life and been brought up to attack anything that moves. It could certainly jump as I found out. I've seen these problematic owners whack such dogs with tree branches, then hold the branch as high as possible to make the dog jump up to attack the tree branch. I often see tree branches in the local cemetery and parks full of teeth marks, meaning 'Tyson' has been chewing it after being whacked by it to wind the dog up.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I reported it to the police today and asked if that police cctv camera recorded the incident. They told me they'd have a look through it, at the time it happened, which was approximately 4.30. They told me to contact them again tomorrow to find out if the camera filmed the incident. I don't see why it wouldn't have done as it took place about 15 yards from the panoramic view camera. We wait to see if the incident was recorded. If it wasn't, then I can only think that the camera isn't filming all day and night long. 🤔

Well done!

Nice curved shop window in Accy antiques. There used to be a Preston shop with that glass. You see less of these old style shops these days.

I live near a strange little shop that sells hardware, some tools, gardening stuff, kitchen / house stuff, key cutting, watch battery changing and disability kit from wheelchairs to disability buggies. As part of this they have a very good selection of canes and sticks. You can get sticks from folding ones through to thumbsticks and even shepherd's crooks. Among them are various dog's head and silver topped canes. I've actually walked over to the window one night when walking the dog to look at them. I'm glad I don't need one but I kind of want one, there's some really nice ones. Maybe one day I'll need one!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Another foolproof defence against the attack of a large dog is to place a distracting obstacle between the dog and its intended victim. In this example, a vulnerable tree was given complete protection against repeated attacks by this devil dog...

must be an open can of dog food at the bottom of that. I only watched 27 seconds of it but got the idea....

Top Bottom