My battle with a 'devil dog' in Accrington town centre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm just glad I did my bit. I couldn't have stood there and watched the little dog being used as a toy by this aggressive Bully thing. I do however have a bit of sympathy for the dog as I bet it's had a crap life and been brought up to attack anything that moves. It could certainly jump as I found out. I've seen these problematic owners whack such dogs with tree branches, then hold the branch as high as possible to make the dog jump up to attack the tree branch. I often see tree branches in the local cemetery and parks full of teeth marks, meaning 'Tyson' has been chewing it after being whacked by it to wind the dog up.

We take the Michael and pull your leg, but we're all proud of you.

It's reported, your job is done, see what the police do now. It's on them if anything happens and they've just sat on this report. I just can't understand why people own such dogs. I mean I can't understand the mentality.

I knew a guy with a large male of the English ones, white, egg shaped head with pink patch by the nose. It was an exceptionally large example and pedigree from a very good breeder. He lived in one of the rougher areas of Lancaster but took his dog walking in other areas. If he walked locally the local scumbags would ask if they could breed from it. He knew it was for the fighting dogs or hard man types with dangerous dogs and he was scared he'd have it stolen from him. Stressed him out because it was apparently a very nice natured dog. Just the genetics were for a big build which was what the scumbags wanted. I did ask him why and he just said he always got big dogs, just liked them.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
On the topic of canes, I picked these three up in Accrington Antiques today for 15 quid. The bone handled one is pretty nice. The one with the human head on is I think supposed to be a matchstick. :okay:

View attachment 725136

View attachment 725137

View attachment 725138

View attachment 725139

View attachment 725140

As I was reading through this thread my thoughts turned to carrying a walking stick (playing the Old Man card). Very useful methinks.

Well done Accy. Heal up soon.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The "shrunken head" walking stick... don't think I could sleep with that in my house.
Didn't you have a shooting stick to hit the dog with?

That'd be quite difficult as I need a stick for balance, so I had a stick in one hand and a Yorkshire Terrier in the other hand. If I'd had a free hand I would've fended the beast off, but sadly both hands were being used for other things! 🧐

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
That'd be quite difficult as I need a stick for balance, so I had a stick in one hand and a Yorkshire Terrier in the other hand. If I'd had a free hand I would've fended the beast off, but sadly both hands were being used for other things! 🧐

You need staff to carry everything, and to take the occasional bite on your behalf

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Nice curved shop window in Accy antiques. There used to be a Preston shop with that glass. You see less of these old style shops these days.

I live near a strange little shop that sells hardware, some tools, gardening stuff, kitchen / house stuff, key cutting, watch battery changing and disability kit from wheelchairs to disability buggies. As part of this they have a very good selection of canes and sticks. You can get sticks from folding ones through to thumbsticks and even shepherd's crooks. Among them are various dog's head and silver topped canes. I've actually walked over to the window one night when walking the dog to look at them. I'm glad I don't need one but I kind of want one, there's some really nice ones. Maybe one day I'll need one!

He always has a collection of walking sticks on the left as you walk in through the door. Like the shop near you he sometimes has shepherd's crooks. The other week he had two of those walking sticks with the metal badges they added when the owner had done certain walks in usually mainland Europe. Not the thing I'd have as they don't go with what I tend to wear and besides, they were too short. I tend to use sticks/canes approximately 34 inch from top to tip, whereas these were about 29/30 inches.

There's a sporting goods and toyshop in Keswick that had a good collection of canes, sticks, crooks and other stick like items. Loads with gundog heads on and one had a border terrier head on it, we have one BT and if I was a stick user I'd be tempted. Except for the £60+ price tag.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have the walking stick my Granddad owned.... it has his initials in the handle. It must be at least 80 years old (I am 77 he died when I was a toddler).
Its approx 3"/75mm too long so I keep threatening to have it cut down and a new rubber tip fitted.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have the walking stick my Granddad owned.... it has his initials in the handle. It must be at least 80 years old (I am 77 he died when I was a toddler).
Its approx 3"/75mm too long so I keep threatening to have it cut down and a new rubber tip fitted.

Personally I wouldn't. I'd just keep it as a memento of your grandad. I know they aren't family mementos but I have two old, slightly too long for me canes with quite fancy handles. They very look old, so to me cutting them to my required length would be like cutting a bit of history away.

Top Bottom