Hurray....my 1st commute!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Don't worry about setting speed records, just relax and enjoy the ride, you will naturally get faster as you get fitter...

Welcome, and congrats.

Like others have said - once you get used to the bike, you'll want to take it to work all the time!

Great work though - nine miles is a fair distance each way for a beginner, so respect for that, too.

i have recently started commuting too, your body does need to adjust, but i used to cycly and train it (cause the bike was too crap to cycle all the way), so had a small headstart, im already enjoying it, i now use backroads instead of the dual carriageway i used to occasionally use, because i got a puncture the first day on my new bike, and had to walk 2 miles along it.......... that was not good, backroads i use have lots of hills, but much less traffic, and much better scenery!- its scary how much you have to spend to get started in this hobby though i think, but the fitness is a good incentive for mee- well done and keep it up!- my journey is only 7 miles..

mootaineer

shakie1973 said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the support and kind words. I have a couple of questions, mainly around how ive been feeling since my 1st few commutes.

My calfs have been feeling very tight, i was just wondering if thats the norm.

Also since having the w/end off, ive felt generaly pretty shoot:tongue:. just wondering if maybe i should be uping the calorie count(even though its only about 9 miles each way)
Im type 1 diabetic, but dont think thats got anything to do with it. I think its just a case of getting my body used to the exra excersise............do you guys agree??

cheers

Sometimes when I feel sh** it's also because of low energy levels.
I don't know how it would affect a diabetic but I find that a banana about 30min before a ride does wonders.
I tend to get a bit of cramp when it's cold and wet. Last winter I wore a pair of Skins calf thingies which seemed to cramp from occurring.
It probably does take a while for the body to get used to it.

Anyway have fun...and stay safe! :becool:

Top Bottom