Hurray....my 1st commute!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shakie1973

Hi guys,

felt chuffed with myself, after my 1st commute, so i thought id let you all know.about it

Got my 1st decent bike at the w/end with the plan to bike into work. It is just over 9 mile each way, and i put in (what i think is a respectable) 40 mins going and 45 coming back. Does this sound ok to start?

I dont wana loose the interest, so i dont plan to bike in every day, or not until im more used to it. My plan was to maybe do 2 days on 1 day off ( or something like that)
I dont feel to bad either, the only thing was coming back with a couple of mile still to go my calfs started to cramp........any tips??
cheers!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wooohooo, well done! You're allowed to ride more slowly and enjoy yourself whilst your body gets used to the new exercise.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well donr,
I have recently just upped my commute from 4 miles to 13&half, and loving it. Don't do it every day though, today I didn't due to the wet weather this morning, but if the weather holds off tomorrow will commute in.

RedBike

40/45mins sounds very respectable. If I go directly to work my commutes just over 10miles, which takes me about 45mins. And thats with a moving average of 22/23mph! Having to wait ages at junctions / lights drops the actual average dramatically.

Cramp can be caused by loads of things.
Drinking plenty of water, turning a low gear quickly and making sure your saddle is at the correct height will probably help most.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Well done Shakie and welcome !

A few thoughts from me;

Aching calf muscles sounds like a low saddle, or too far back maybe.

Don't get too caught up in the speed thing, i treat myself to a leisurely ride now and again, try looking around you and seeing what you've been missing all this time. Might take another 10 minutes but who's counting ?

If you start to get the red mist with the traffic, bail out, get off the bike and remind yourself why you cycle, then get back on and enjoy the rest of the journey.

Enjoy it !

neslon

Congrats shakie - set yourself an absolute minimum to start with and do it whatever the weather says. Soon, you will only drive if there is no alternative. I'll wave if I see you (whats your route?).

Plax

Guru
Well done! As others have said cycling is addictive and you really will get withdrawal symptoms. I tend to cycle into work as a matter of course now and if I don't and the weather is nice I feel really guilty and regret being too lazy to cycle in for the rest of the day.

When I first started out, which wasn't too long ago, I used to cycle in around twice a week for a few months, and then gradually increased the number of days.

HelenD123

Guru
That's great! I started cycle commuting a couple of months ago and don't know why I didn't try it years ago. Your time is very respectable. I do 8 miles and have got it down from about 50 minutes to under 40 minutes and it felt like no effort at all this morning.

OP
OP
S

shakie1973

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the support and kind words. I have a couple of questions, mainly around how ive been feeling since my 1st few commutes.

My calfs have been feeling very tight, i was just wondering if thats the norm.

Also since having the w/end off, ive felt generaly pretty shoot:tongue:. just wondering if maybe i should be uping the calorie count(even though its only about 9 miles each way)
Im type 1 diabetic, but dont think thats got anything to do with it. I think its just a case of getting my body used to the exra excersise............do you guys agree??

cheers

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sounds like it's just your body getting used to the exercise. There's nothing wrong with taking a rest day if you feel you need it. How are your blood sugars, btw?

OP
OP
S

shakie1973

Yeah there not bad thanks, ive been running them a little high, to take into account the exersise.
they have been dropping off later in the day (just got to get used to the change in my routine)
The feeling crap part is not down to this though, i dont think. More likely my body need to adjust.............probably been to lazy for to long :rolleyes:

I dont plan to commute every day (as of yet) i work a 12hr day (3 on 3 off) so i plan to do the 1st and last, until i get used anyway.

cheers guys !

andyfromotley

Shakie, well done mate. I started commuting in the new year and absolutely love it. My only advice is dont make your plans too rigid, cycle when you feel like, do more when you want to. I am planning to ride in every day this week, a first for me, totalling nearly 150 miles. If you had told me this when i startedi would never have beleived it, but i think it has changed my life. Much much happier.

Listen to your body and enjoy it!

andy

Top Bottom