1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurst Street, Birmingham

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mister Paul, 17 Oct 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

There's a fine contra-flow cycle lane down there, separated from the road by a raised kerb.

But this morning a cyclist comes pedalling around the corner, past the lane, and up onto the pavement, and continues down the street.

What's all that about?

2. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

Not a cyclist - just a POB

3. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

You saw someone on a bike in Birmingham?! I'm impressed :ohmy:

I sat at the contraflow crossing bit for a good few minutes once without realising that there was a button to press - somebody walking past pointed it out.

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I've done that. Same at the one at the other end of Hurst Street. Though I've yet to see a cyclist wait there until the bike goes green, it takes so long.

5. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Cyclists shouldn't have to press buttons on street furniture in order to make progress. Car drivers don't have to!

6. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

I have to agree - it's ridiculous. The whole junction there is a bit dicey in terms of its design but at least it has that contraflow lane where it is genuinely needed. Birmingham has few formal cycle facilities, but some of them are genuinely helpful in car city uk (just one of them anyway!).