Hybrid bike around £200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mujura

Hello!

I'm 5' 7" tall and my leg length is 32", so I think that I need a 18" frame hybrid bike. I want it mainly for leisure, riding around the city and by the park paths. I live in Kingston, next to Bushy Park and Richmond Park. I imagine I would ride often by there. Taking that into account I think the bycicle type that suits me the most is the hybrid / hybrid-mountain bike, doesn't it?

I have been reading a lot, and surfing the net looking for the best bike I can afford (my budget is around £200). I know with this budget I won't be able to acquire a great bike, but for now it's ok if I can buy a decent one for this price. I have been looking many websites and found some good offers but most of them were above the size I need.

Do you think that this Viking Notting Hill bike can be the best one I could find for £215 delivered? Adding 5 more pounds there's the Viking Candem (I prefer the looks of the first one). I've read this brand is not so great but with my budget it's a bit hard to find better ones. Also, I'm not very demanding. If it does the job for a few years I will be really happy.

What do you think about them? Are they worth their price? Do you know any other good deal? I have considered the second hand market, but it's even hardest for me to find a good deal as I'm not an expert!

Thank you so much for your help!

Don't pay too much attention to my opinion of Viking bikes. It's based on an "odd" n+1 purchase ......... of a rebadged Viking cargo bike; three wheeler; enormously heavy but does exactly the job I wanted it for. BUT - build quality is not good. Components are on the cheesy end - think cheese at the Dairylea end of the market. So ..... I have reservations - however, I could well be unfair.

On the other hand, on the same page as the Viking Nottinghill one, they suggest a Ridgeback. http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B5176.html?id=fSuF8Kgo . And that's a name I have a lot of trust in and respect for.

Edited - what I really wanted to write, before I diverted myself .......... get ye hence to a bike shop and try some? No substitute for actually getting a feel for the one that feels really right?

OP
OP
Mujura

Mujura

Thanks for your replay!

I saw the Ridgeback too, and would love to buy it BUT it's only available with a frame size of 23" instead of 18" that I think I need. A think I have long legs for my height but not that much XD.

Trying bikes... I feel more or less comfortable with any and the prices I found in my near local shops are a bit expensive (except Halford's, of course xD).

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to decathlon on purley way, Croydon and look at the btwin 300. Or the halfords carrera subway is a decent new buy. Go to the new bike specific halfords In twickenham

£200 is really second hand bike money for a decent bike. If riding on the roads in Richmond park, forget suspension

OP
OP
Mujura

Mujura

Yeah, I'm looking for a rigid fork if possible for these low end bikes. Regarding the B'Twin 300 you mention from Decathlon, is it the Original (£170) or the Hoprider (£230)? Are the Carrera Subway (1 or 2) half-priced in Halford's in Twickenham? I've seen in the website they "only" have a 30% discount.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Mujura

Mujura

Hehe, I thought you mentioned to go to the new halfords in twickenham because they had special offers for its inauguration. I have a Halford's very near here in Kingston but if they don't lower more their price they are out of my reach.

That B'TWIN bike is a road one, doesn't it? I don't think I could go by Bushy Park with those wheels.

Thanks anyway! :smile:

OP
OP
Mujura

Mujura

I was also considering the CBR Richmond for £170 mainly "because of the better brand", and the Dawes Discovery Sport 1 for £199. The main problem of the Dawes is that it's only available with a frame 20". Do you thing that size on this type of bike could suit me? On one hand, guide size guides with my height bike size calculators with my measures the show me 18" frame but, on the other hand, that website says that 20" frame requires a minimum inside leg of 30" (and mine is 32"). Would I consider more my the height or the length of the leg?

And the last bike for now! XD Seeing the Carrera Subway doesn't rise its discount... Do you know the Carrera Parva? Now in halford's it has a discount of 42% + £20 off promo. So it would be 210 "instead 400".

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Go have a look at the bikes, go sit on them. The Parva looks decent

The Twickenham rebranded Halfords has many more bikes than the smaller car parts stores, just go take a look

Bushey park isn't especially rough? I've also ridden round the off road bits of Richmond Park on a hybrid with 28mm tyres

OP
OP
Mujura

Mujura

Well, it's not the mountain but I think it's not a place to ride with thin tyres.

I saw in Evans that if you trade in your old banger they give you a 20 or 30 pounds discount when you buy a new bike, what is great!

How about the Jamis Commuter 2 for £270? There are many bikes below that price such as Dawnes or Norco among others.
Claud Butler Legend 2014 for £290 wich would be my limit if it really worth it.:bicycle: What do you think about it, rising a bit my budget?

Thank you for your patience with me. :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
I would suggest you go to Evans...however the Kingston one has a pretty mixed reputation, so I'd personally go to Wimbledon. It's much bigger and there are decent quieter roads for test rides. To test ride, you need photo ID and a bank card (to which 1p will be charged- you can get that back though if fussed)!

How tall are you? Your legs aren't that short, and you may find a 17" which is the only Jamis available too small

I wouldn't get the CB, suspension on a bike in that price range will be poor and heavy, you don' need it for a park, and it's a hindrance on roads

I'd probably look at this if spending under £300 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/vfr-4-2015-hybrid-bike-ec075298

OP
OP
Mujura

Mujura

Hi there! I measured again my leg length (this time with help xd), and it is 31", and I'm 169-170 cm tall. As you can see I'm not a big man XD. I think 19" would be too much, so 17" is probably fine for me (I hope!). My girlfriend liked the Jamis Commuter 2 a lot too (and she is the one who will buy it for my birthday :wub:) so tomorrow we are going to Evans ^^.´

PD: These are all the bike measures (15",17" and 19"):
29z7pcy.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom