Hybrid bike max budget £650

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yoyo887

thanks for all the replies, just an update I decided not to rush and buy even though there was huge discounts, I narrowed it down to the ribble Hybrid al commuter 2.0 , with the ribble lights, bottle & bottle holder its £690 with delivery, so Im going to look again once more for bikes with a limit of 700 and see if anything catches my interest before making the purchase, reason I narrowed it down to the ribble I found it was just the best value for money with the current discount, other bikes had one of two things that was skimped on, either the forks, brakes or the gearing

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One tip when buying, don't buy discounts buy product.

OP
OP
Y

yoyo887

One tip when buying, don't buy discounts buy product.

im looking at normal priced bikes too, it just seems like the al hybrid 2.0 is the best for the money though, unless you can suggest something else? trek bikes seem nice but they are quite abit more money for the same spec

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You’ll always find that big name brands are more more expensive for the same spec as less well known or ‘in house brands’ .

vickster

Legendary Member
im looking at normal priced bikes too, it just seems like the al hybrid 2.0 is the best for the money though, unless you can suggest something else? trek bikes seem nice but they are quite abit more money for the same spec

With Trek you’re paying for the brand but you’ll also get a lifetime frame warranty, you won’t with the Ribble.
If it’s the green equipped one, the Ribble is £599. Seems a lot on top for some (basic?) light, bottle and cage and delivery

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yoyo887

With Trek you’re paying for the brand but you’ll also get a lifetime frame warranty, you won’t with the Ribble.
If it’s the green equipped one, the Ribble is £599. Seems a lot on top for some (basic?) light, bottle and cage and delivery

it's the delivery that is a lot they charge £40 even if you collect from the store, the bottle £6, bottle cage £5 front and back rechargeable lights set £40, 599+40+40+5+6 comes to £690, you can buy the same bike from there outlet section exact same bike and size I need for £599 then using OUTLET10 saves you £60 but I'd rather not save £60 and get a potentially used bike or one that might have scuffs, I did consider it though but thought to myself i'd rather get brand new

OP
OP
Y

yoyo887

£40 seems a lot for unbranded lights

that's true, I nearly never went for them as I got some lights at the moment but there are just normal lights nothing powerful which need batteries, they are ''branded Ribble Lights'' I felt like it was expensive but ok since it was the only lights they sold so must have some confidence in them also they offer 3 years warranty on them which I thought was good, you can probably get the same looking ones maybe from amazon for half the price but they probably will only have 1 year warranty also it was another nudge in buying the whole ''ribble experience'' so I just went and added them in with the bottle/ cage

link to the lights https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/accessories/accessory-bundles/

I just hope they can deliver as promised, 48 hour dispatch, I know delays can happen.. week or 2 max I dont mind anything after that then.... its a good job I paid with PayPal :smile:

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I kind of skimmed through the thread. Apologies if these were already mentioned.

Specialized Sirrus 2.0 is a really nice bike. GF bought one not long ago. £600 so £100 left for accessories.

Do you have access to cycle to work scheme?

You can't beat a good used bike when it comes to value for money. Personally bought a 10-year old Giant not long ago, which the original owner rode maybe twice. Even after a few upgrades, I'm well under your budget and have a steed that's better then some of the new stuff that shops are pushing for 2.5k+.

OP
OP
Y

yoyo887

unfortunately I don't have the cycle to work scheme available to me, I did view the sirrus 2.0 I noticed it was out of budget at the time it was in the £750 region and OOS for my size, but I will definitely keep it in mind in case Ribble take too long as I've heard they have bad delays but I did go on live chat with them before buying the bike they told me its available for 48hr dispatch,

I would also consider used but I don't know what I'm looking at in terms of damage etc, I understand there is bargains to be had but I think you need some knowledge about bikes and a keen eye

OP
OP
Y

yoyo887

so to my amazement the bike arrived today

initial thoughts, it looks beautiful, trying to get it all set up and I ran into a major issue, the seat post is in the sky and won't go down any further because theres 2 threads for a bottle cage etc even with them screwed out it doesn't go down at all , the seat is in the sky

size S is 5ft - 5 ft 7 im well within the range yet the even the lowest setting my brother who is 5 10 couldnt sit on the seat lol..

also the light set I ordered front and back, they gave me 2 front lights only and they are not branded ribble but a different make

any suggestions?

I went and looked the stock photo and it looks like the same seat post
mxw_3840,f_auto.png

that picture seems accurate but that is the lowest the post will actually go down

Jenkins

Legendary Member

initial thoughts, it looks beautiful, trying to get it all set up and I ran into a major issue, the seat post is in the sky and won't go down any further because theres 2 threads for a bottle cage etc even with them screwed out it doesn't go down at all , the seat is in the sky

size S is 5ft - 5 ft 7 im well within the range yet the even the lowest setting my brother who is 5 10 couldnt sit on the seat lol..

also the light set I ordered front and back, they gave me 2 front lights only and they are not branded ribble but a different make

any suggestions?

View attachment 670394

that picture seems accurate but that is the lowest the post will actually go down

I'll be the one that asks the most obvious question - to lower the seat, you are loosening the seat post collar and not just the bottle cage bolts aren't you?

As for the lights, I'd go back to Ribble a.s.a.p to get them to sort it. Having got a set with my ebike version of yours, I'm not sure they're worth the £40 quoted cost.

All uphill

Still rolling along

any suggestions?

View attachment 670394

That's a lovely looking bike!

I'll ask the other obvious question; how are you (and your brother) determining the seat height you need?

OP
OP
Y

yoyo887

I'll be the one that asks the most obvious question - to lower the seat, you are loosening the seat post collar and not just the bottle cage bolts aren't you?

As for the lights, I'd go back to Ribble a.s.a.p to get them to sort it. Having got a set with my ebike version of yours, I'm not sure they're worth the £40 quoted cost.
yes the seat and post was not assembled so I had to do it which is easy as I've done it on my pervious bikes, yes the collar loosened only after realising it was not going to go down further I undone the bottle cage bolts which yielded in the same result , I will have to contact them about the lights it, is live chat with them my best bet?
That's a lovely looking bike!

I'll ask the other obvious question; how are you (and your brother) determining the seat height you need?

well we just tried to sit on it, I'll admit I've not put the pedals on yet as I was going to do that last but even so, it is very high

Attachments

• seat.png
    seat.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 8

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Sorry for the obvious question, but it had to be asked. The seat post thing is an odd one - there's no way it should sit that high in the seae tube without going down any further which make me think there may be some form of blockage. I've got the large size bike and it came with a 400mm seatpost and is set up with about 200mm above the collar and 200mm in the seat tube as below
1670447472114.png

I've no experience of contacting them, but try an email first with pictures for them to look at and evaluate.

Top Bottom