Hybrid bike or Mountain Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ccox

Hi,

I am new to cycling I want a bike that can be used off ride and then off road on family forest trails.
Would you recommend a the carerra hybrid or the vegenance

thank you

Hi
I normally ride an ebike - but it is basically a hybrid - and the majority of rides I do involve and canal tow paths and similar off road paths - and then proper roads to get to and from them.
Some of them are a bit rough but not serious in any way and the bike copes with it with no problems - some bumpy bits and some muddy bits.

Only problem I have is that I do not feel I can go at any speed because the bike is not designed for it - and I have tyres that are designed for the road so mud can mean that the rear wheel takes a path it decides on by itself rather than the way I expected. Not really a problem at the speed I go.
On gravel paths it can be a bit difficult on steep hills - the tyres do not have much grip so I get the rear wheel spinning if I am not careful.

So - it depends on how rough the paths are and whether or not you want/need to go fast.

If you are just riding flattish forest trails suitable for family rides, then a hybrid is fine.
MTBs use wheels of different sizes, it really doesnt matter. The 700c used in hybrids is the same as 29" used in MTB. You could use a dual use tyre with a central ridge for road and knobbbles for muddier sections of trail. I have done plenty of trails on std commuter tyres( Schwalbe Marathon.)
Hybrids usually gave adequate tyre clearance and low enough gears.

mustang1

Guru
Hi, I have a Carrera hybrid and take it off road frequently. In fact, I've UPgraded the tyres which makes the LESS off-road friendly but I still go off road on them and they're fine. I think you will like it!\

For general purpose bimbling, then a rigid fork (no suspension) hybrid should cover just about all the bases.

A semi-slick commuter tyre such as a Schwalbe Road Cruiser will cope with gravel, sand and a certain amount of mud. Otherwise, as others have said, you can get a dual-purpose tyre with a slick centre and knobbly bits on the outside. Riding on tarmac on full knobblies is like riding through treacle.

And there'll be enough give in a 1.75 inch tyre that you won't need the suspension, and given the budget you're looking at, a suspension fork will be more of a hindrance than a help. So you'll have a lighter bike and won't be wasting effort by having the front end pogo-ing up and down just when you don't need it.

battered

Guru
For general purpose bimbling, then a rigid fork (no suspension) hybrid should cover just about all the bases.

A semi-slick commuter tyre such as a Schwalbe Road Cruiser will cope with gravel, sand and a certain amount of mud. Otherwise, as others have said, you can get a dual-purpose tyre with a slick centre and knobbly bits on the outside. Riding on tarmac on full knobblies is like riding through treacle.

And there'll be enough give in a 1.75 inch tyre that you won't need the suspension, and given the budget you're looking at, a suspension fork will be more of a hindrance than a help. So you'll have a lighter bike and won't be wasting effort by having the front end pogo-ing up and down just when you don't need it.
^this

LWeleven

having both . well i did, sold my mountain bike earlier this year as i was using my hybrid more , i do prefer the mountain bike off road for sure but i find myself on back roads and easy tracks more and get more speed from the hybrid , the hybrid is also going once i can find a Gravel bike that suits my needs and budget...but there are hybrids and hybrids .....

Top Bottom