Hybrid bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
I recently knocked over hybrid bike. Now when I use very top cog at the back the.chain is hitting the spokes you can hear it knocking or scraping spokes any ideas on how to fix.this would be appreciated.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A slightly bent rear mech hanger maybe?

As previously mentioned sounds like a bent rear mech or hanger;if you can get it on a stand somehow,look at the rear and see if you can see which it may be.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
look at the rear and see if you can see which it may be
As in, look at the rear FROM standing directly behind the right side of the rear wheel and see if everything looks fairly straight up/down when in top (smallest) gear (I think). Take a picture and post it here if you want the oracle to estimate which it is.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are rear mechs expensive
Depends what it is. Could be anything from the price of a beer for one from someone's old spare parts to £250+ for Italian racing bling (unlikely on a hybrid, you'll be happy to hear!). I think ones for a hybrid maybe average £20-40 retail for a new part... but you may be able to bend your current one back into shape anyway.

I suspect a bent rear hanger is more likely but I'd expect a new one to be less than £20 (there are several sizes, so you'd need to check it fits your make+model) and replacing it usually just means undoing bolts, taking off the old one, putting on the new one and tightening bolts, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom