Hybrid Bikes - Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freerider888

Hi All,

First time poster and a complete beginner with bikes. Trying to buy a bike during COVID-19 as figured it's a good time to start getting out and exercising. However it isn't easy as as far as I am aware bike shops aren't physically open - only online or for click and collect, so I'm going in a bit blind without trying anything for a test ride.

Pretty sure I want a hybrid bike and most research seems to point to the Halfords brands Subway 2, Crossfire 2 or 3.

I quite like both the Crossfire bikes, but have also looked at the GT Transeo Comp Bike 2020 -

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...e/hybrid-city-bikes?f=2247,2632&sort=pricelow

Can any one advice which bike is best on paper or by experience - Crossfire 2, 3 or GT Transeo?

Thanks.

OP
OP
F

Freerider888

Looked at a similar thread on here and settled on a Trek FX 2 Disc 2020. Much better bike by the looks of things. Got it for £425.

OP
OP
F

Freerider888

Good bike, and nothing in your post suggests a need for heavy suspension :okay:

Thanks Vickster. And yes, no need for suspension - mostly going to be on road / pavement and although I liked the idea of suspension I heard it's really not worth it on a relatively low value bike like this - just adds unnecessary weight for little benefit.

ShaneWBA

Looked at a similar thread on here and settled on a Trek FX 2 Disc 2020. Much better bike by the looks of things. Got it for £425.
Have you got it/been out on it yet? And do you mind me asking where you got it at that price please?

In the market for a new bike myself, much like yourself I’m debating the FX 2 Disc and also like the idea of suspension for canal paths I will be using but every post seems to advise no suspension for my use lol

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
If you want suspension for canal paths, you should go ahead - it's not as if you'll be lugging the forks up hill and down dale so the weight argument's rather moot, I think.

OP
OP
F

Freerider888

Bought from Cycles UK, not arrived yet. There's a couple of decent discount codes available on there SAVE25 for £25 off £250+ spend or SAVE50 for £50 off a £500+ spend! Not sure when these codes expire.

So you could could get the Trek 2 at £450 and then £50 worth of accessories for free effectively.

OP
OP
F

Freerider888

If you want suspension for canal paths, you should go ahead - it's not as if you'll be lugging the forks up hill and down dale so the weight argument's rather moot, I think.
The bikes I was looking at seemed to be about 2kg heavier with suspension. Would that make much difference? Most people in forums I looked at seemed to say suspension not very good on a £300-£500 hybrid bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't like suspension at all, even on flat roads and locked out - still bouncy (that was a mid range Specialized Sirrus)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The bikes I was looking at seemed to be about 2kg heavier with suspension. Would that make much difference? Most people in forums I looked at seemed to say suspension not very good on a £300-£500 hybrid bike.
I was replying specifically to the poster above who said they would be riding on canal towpaths.

I've got a good deal more free and easy if someone wants suspension forks :laugh:

Top Bottom