Hybrid Bikes - for the missus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesxyz

Anyone recommend a good hybrid / leisure style bike for around 400-500 quid? It's for my wife and I have little experience of these sort of bikes. We've seen Trek 7 series FX or Ridgeback Equipt+ series. She doesn't necessarily need a women's specific model as she's tall (6ft) and can cope with the larger frames - in fact the biggest women'sTrek they do in the 7 series (19") was a little too small ...

Cubist

Still wavin'
jamesxyz said:
Anyone recommend a good hybrid / leisure style bike for around 400-500 quid? It's for my wife and I have little experience of these sort of bikes. We've seen Trek 7 series FX or Ridgeback Equipt+ series. She doesn't necessarily need a women's specific model as she's tall (6ft) and can cope with the larger frames - in fact the biggest women'sTrek they do in the 7 series (19") was a little too small ...
Go to Velocity at Lindley and look at the Cube leisure/fitness/country styles. . Reckon they would be the sort of thing she'd like.

BearPear

Veteran
I have the Trek 7.2fx wsd, but I'm only 5'4", a midget compared to your wife! As she is so tall she may not need a female specific fit.

I love my Trek and have had no complaints so far.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have last year's 7.3 WSD in 19" (largest size) and am 5'10 with long arms and legs. I also have an XL men's Crosstrail, I find the Trek a little small in comparison. I reckon she'd be better off with a men's bike in a 20.5 (XL) or similar. The Crosstrail is a good all purpose bike if going on road and also on slightly rougher stuff :smile: 45mm tyres but with smooth centres

vickster

Legendary Member
I was all set to buy the XL Ariel, but didn't like the geometry on test ride - too upright given my long reach, so I went for the men's - as I like to lean forwards a bit more. The Ariel is nice, but if the missus is long limbed it is definitely worth trying both. I have the Crosstrail Sport (£450) but they do an entry level at £350 like the Ariel (fewer gears and no lock out forks, which I wanted for road riding)

jujubi

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, and I've got a similar issue.

I'm a 6ft girl, but with long legs and short torso/arms. On most men's bikes that are high enough for me I have trouble reaching the handlebars. My current ride - a (heavy and badly buckled) 19 inch men's Raleigh - is an unsatisfactory compromise as it's the right length but a bit small.

So I suppose I need a women's specific frame of 20+ inches. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm quite attracted by the Trek 7 FX series, and according to Trek's website, some of the ladies' models come in 20, 21.5, 22.5 or even 25... (?) Though I'm a bit confused by that, as their sizing system seems a bit random.

I've also looked at the Specialized Ariel, but I'm not sure I need suspension. So XL is a good size for your wife, James? Can anybody explain the difference between the sporty version and the non-sporty version to me?

Any other tall women's hybrids out there?

And - total bike novice here, so forgive me, if the question is stupid - do they even have a proper selection of tall ladies' bikes in shops, so I could try a few out, or would I have to order one and hope for the best?

I'd be thankful for any advice.

Julia.

g00se

Veteran
Have a try with a Kona Dew model. Not women's specific but the frames very compact. So a bigger frame with a high seat-post shouldn't be too stretched out.

g00se

Veteran
Or I suppose another way of putting it,look for bikes with a small wheelbase. That way, the up-down proportions (including saddle height) will be exaggerated against back-front proportions (arm reach).

Top Bottom