Hybrid Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igor73

Can I fit caliper brakes to my Giant Escape 1 2016 which is currently fitted with Shimano Altura V Brakes which I really don't like?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You'll need to check the measurements of your intended brake and the bike but I suspect not without changing the front fork and fitting some sort of adapter at the rear brake bridge.

V brakes are usually more powerful than calipers so why would you?

lpretro1

Do you mean cantilever brakes - or the standard drop bar road brakes - as both they and v-brakes are a 'caliper' brake? The are just all different kinds of rim brake. You could fit cantilevers as they use the same bosses as the v brakes - but your levers will not work properly with those. You could only fit a std road brake if you have the drillings in the right place but you'd need to have drop bars as the pull on them is different to flat bar v-brakes. V-brakes- when properly set up- are very effective so why change?

OP
OP
Igor73

Igor73

Probably me just being lazy, I find that the V brakes a difficult to set up & I always seem to be adjusting them. I think I'll just spend a bit more time and get to learn how to set them up & adjust them properly. Thanks for the advice though.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
V brakes can be a PITA and if you get an awkward set (slightly mismatched spring tension????) they'll drive you daft trying to get them just so You could consider Cantilever brakes as its not a suspension fork.

Top Bottom