Hybrid Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackm

Does anyone here have any experience driving hybrid cars?

I am a driving instructor who teaches in an automatic car, and am considering a Toyota Auris Hybrid as my next car

I know a bit about them, but would be interested in hearing other people's experiences.

I will be honest and say now that I'm not particularly interested in the opinions of anyone who hasn't driven one or been a passenger as I've already had all the negative and uninformed opinions myself!!

Drago

Legendary Member
Wife used to have a Pious and I've driven a 3008 Hybrid 4.

The Pious was bitterly disappointing, and the 3008 straight diesel she replaced it with was quicker, bigger, and averaged 10 MPG better. Having owned one we'd pick a modern diesel over a Petrol hybrid any day, unless there's some leap in the state of the art that boosts fuel performance.

Anyhoo, what you want to know?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I am a driving instructor who teaches in an automatic car, and am considering a Toyota Auris Hybrid as my next car

I know a bit about them, but would be interested in hearing other people's experiences.

I will be honest and say now that I'm not particularly interested in the opinions of anyone who hasn't driven one or been a passenger as I've already had all the negative and uninformed opinions myself!!

Wouldn't you get a more reliable viewpoint by booking a test drive?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
drove an early Civic ima for a while as a company car , clever idea but nothing great to outweigh extra costs involved . should think a decent dealer would lend you one for a few days if you ask . if not contact the uk distributor (Toyota gb use to be based in Redhill surrey) and explain to them what you want to use it for and see whar reaction you get .

are there any other driving scholls using them nationally ?

What do you want to know? I drive a Pius too. Drives much like a normal car except the engine stops when you stop which can take some getting used to for those of us who fear stalling the engine. The parking brake is foot operated which may be an issue (how do they do hill starts in the test now with the new automatic parking brakes?)

If you can cope with the 'false hybrid' (I.e. you have to plug it in, unlike the Prius type) the Volvo V60 hybrid is excellent to drive.

Can't comment on MPG, as my only experience is driving one at work for policing matters, and I wasn't watching the MPG, but it's meant to be great.

Norm

No experience of hybrids but we had a 2009 Auris for 3 months and it changed my mind about 'they don't build crappy cars any more' as it was the worst car I've ever driven - and I've had a Simca, a Daf and a Polski-Fiat!

I don't know if they've changed the Arse since then but I wouldn't drive one unless it was given to me free - and, even then, I'd haggle.

Davidc

Guru
Had a hire car Honda hybrid earlier this year. Bit odd to begin with, but just forgot about it most of the time. Driving in France takes a bit of concentration and I can't say I noticed much about the car except for the lack of engine running when stopped and in traffic.

I've also used the Peugeot version of the switch-off-when-stopped diesel engine (which uses even less fuel than hybrids). Again, apart from the lack of engine when stopped I can't say it made any difference to driving it. Those have also been hire cars btw when I've been upgraded, I've never owned one of these so-called green cars, just driven them.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
I drive a 2010 Prius (1.8 engine) and quite like it. Its very easy to drive, and gives around 65 mpg.
Performance is OK, better when on power setting but then MPG drops a bit.
Never had an auto before so that took a bit of getting used to. The only problem is that the display has so many options for seeing whats going on with the engine/battery thats easy to drive into something while you are watching it!

OP
OP
J

jackm

Thanks for your input...I was trying to find out if people got on with the transmission , whether the general driving experience was as the motoring rags make out, etc.

Drago , what sort of roads was your car driven on, motorways or urban, mainly?

Will be organizing a test drive soon but they can have their limitations, esp with a pushy salesman sat next to you!

No other driving schools run hybrids to my knowledge , just offering automatic appears to be a niche market.

Red Light, you answered more questions than you realised just by making the .car sound normal!

Norm, what were your problems with the Auris (apart from they're a bit dull!!!)

No other driving schools run hybrids to my knowledge , just offering automatic appears to be a niche market.

That's the thing I'd be worried about given that most people learn in a manual and later choose to drive an auto.

the other thing I'd wonder about, is would an examiner fail a student for the engine stopping if they didn't realise it was the stop/start coming into play?

Top Bottom