Hybrid Commuting Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Budget?

Cycleops

Legendary Member

vickster

Legendary Member
Boardman are good value, as are Ribble?

Cannondale make good lightweight alu frames too.

I had a Cannondale Quick briefly (albeit a cheaper model), it was a heavy lump compared to a Whyte!

Not sure you'll get much from Ribble for under a grand these days.

The Polygon models from Go Outdoors can represent good value when they have a sale on (no experience of riding)

Jameshow

Veteran
I had a Cannondale Quick briefly (albeit a cheaper model), it was a heavy lump compared to a Whyte!

Not sure you'll get much from Ribble for under a grand these days.

The Polygon models from Go Outdoors can represent good value when they have a sale on (no experience of riding)

Interesting about the Cannondale goes to show trickle down tech doesn't work in this situation!

Budget for mudguards, rear rack, lights, repair kit, lock, luggage, as required. It is easier to negotiate freebie accessories than cash off the price of a bike.

Some of the Specialized models use propriatory mudguard and rack fittings. Avoid anything non standard.
Get suffient tyre clearance for your winter needs. 38mm is normally the fattest you need unless you use studded ice tyres.

stewpot

Über Member
Second the nomination for a Whyte R7. I bought the Stirling in the summer,after trying several other makes (though admittedly not the Trek FX) and it is a superb bike. The 42T front chainring is paired up with a 11-52 cassette at the rear so you've a got a gearing range that can pretty much cope with any hills. Its solid, dependable and easy to maintain. There are also mounts for a rack and kickstand. Stick a pair of SKS Speedlockers on, front and rear lights and its all the commuter you will ever need. And don't worry if your commute involves a bit of off road, it's basically a MTB with road wheels.

Depending on the size you can still pick one up for under £1000. Mediums and X large are still in stock at Winstanleys and Balfes. Rutland cycling had a large in stock when I last looked as well.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Second the nomination for a Whyte R7. I bought one in the summer,after trying several other makes (though admittedly not the Trek FX) and it is a superb bike. The 42T front chainring is paired up with a 11-52 cassette at the rear so you've a got a gearing range that can pretty much cope with any hills. Its solid, dependable and easy to maintain. There are also mounts for a rack and kickstand. Stick a pair of SKS Speedlockers on, front and rear lights and its all the commuter you will ever need. And don't worry if your commute involves a bit of off road, it's basically a MTB with road wheels.

Depending on the size you can still pick one up for under £1000. Mediums and X large are still in stock at Winstanleys and Balfes. Rutland cycling had a large in stock when I last looked as well.

Just to note, there are several models in the R7 range :smile:
Which one did you buy? Stirling?

Sixmile

Veteran
Boardman are good value, as are Ribble?

Cannondale make good lightweight alu frames too.

Whyte R7 range assuming happy with 1x gearing.
Or a Trek FX disc

It took me 3 go's to get the right commuter bike for me, which turns out to be a Whyte Portobello. Probably the most versatile and comfortable bike I've ever ridden. 650b tyres, 1x10 gearing, hydraulic disc brakes and whyte have made a set of 45mm mudguards specifically for these models - all told around £800.

I previously have owned and used a Specialized Crosstrail 3x8 (circa £500) and Boardman Urb 1x8 alfine hubbed bike (circa £900). The crosstrail was grand, cheap enough components but just ok to ride, the boardman was really uncomfortable, totally wrong geometry wise and the alfine comes down to personal taste, I didn't get on with it for commuting. I would have no qualms recommending the Whyte though, it's been my commuter, leisure and tourer for the last 18 months .

Top Bottom