Hybrid Drop Bar Conversion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Has anyone tried this?? I half regret getting a hybrid and much wish that i bought a Cyclo-Cross instead.

my bike is the HOY Shizuoka .001 If that helps.

I can easily pick up a second hand drop bar but my guess is, its all the components that i'll have to replace that will bring the overall cost up.

I have googled and read threads in other forums already and most of them seem to have a mixed opinion on it or think its not worth the trouble at all.

So whats you're opinion of the idea? Given the fact that this bike is only a 8 speed makes this bike pretty much a 'blank canvas'. I think if i can source the right parts secondhand. I may well be able to do it on a decent budget.

The aluminum frame on this bike is most excellent, Overall its a very light bike. 11-11.5Kg according to its spec sheet. There is plenty of room for future upgrades and customisations and it would be an honest pitty not to given the opportunity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
After doing a fair bit of research into groupsets and checking out some cyclocross bikes there isnt going to be a simple 'budget' option. I hoped to stick a 10 or 11speed on the bike but all the groupsets dont support disc brakes. A sora 3500 would be nice but doesn't support disc brakes. The only real option would be to stick a 105 groupset on but if i did that then i would require new whes to support at least 18 vears and upwards.

Long story short. The conversion would require a costly overhaul to almost everything. Unless parts can be obtained for peanuts then youre better off buying a new bike

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Long story short: the only cheap option is to replace the bars with one of the few 22.2mm diameter drop bars (edit: I think Rumpus is one) and keep the brakes and shifters, but there's not much choice, the brake and shifter levers or clamps might not work with the bends (a reach adjuster would help) and you may need a new stem too to get the reach correct.

North Road or Porter bars would give more choice and might give 90% of the effect.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I fitted drops to my Nishiki hybrid, it was an interesting project but as above it extends your reach to the handle bars effectively making the frame longer / bigger. It can result in you having to "over reach" to get to the drops or the brakes. i have gone back to the original flat bars now.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The groupsets will support cable disc brakes. By putting drop bars on a hybrid you are in effect making the frame "bigger", you might find the bike you bought is too big

my current brakes are Hydraulic which all adds to the headache If i wanted to upgrade. There is no easy/cheap solution around this, the bike would require a complete overhaul, even the wheels would have to go as i dont think the Alex-rims XD-Sport wheels support anything above an 8 or 9 speed. Maybe 10 if im lucky but their website is hardly overflowing with information regarding their specs and compatibility...

IMO the best thing i can really do is to fit bar ends and look at the more expensive hybrid bikes that have more gears and such and try to mimic what they have. That seems to be the easiest and most straightforward option. the drivetrain and wheels would need to get completely stripped out of course. but I be able to keep the same hydraulic brakes which saves a bit of money if thats what i do eventually choose to do.

The cost of doing the overall cost of going with the drop bars isnt worth it as for the same price you could probably just buy a new bike for the same price.

My parents would totally flip shoot about me getting a new bike when I already have one (a really shitty Apollo MTB). They already did when i bought my HOY. me mam threatened to make me store it up in my room (i live in the loft - so two flights of stairs...) but i was serious about cycling and commuted to work on it almost every day unless it was raining cats and dogs

Last edited:
Its a recurring theme, hybrid to drop bar conversion. Years back I converted my sirrus to drop, it was a flat bar road bike so apt for conversion IMO. I was quite happy with it using it on evening club runs (when I had to leave a bike in my old office carpark during the day) and winter club runs. The brakes were a bit of a compromise, I had vee's and sti's don't pull enough cable, so I fitted Problem Solver Travel Agents which overcame the braking issue in part, although it wasn't perfect.

Top Bottom