Hybrid/Fitness /Gravel / Commuter bike hi people looking for a bike to fit these categories .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GDS68

GDS68

I was looking for a similar bike about 6 months ago. Looked at the Trek Fx3 and was interested in the Marin DSX but no stockists near me.
I decided I would prefer a double chainring so that ruled a few out.
Eventually the bike that seemed to best meet my needs and looked to be the best value for money was a Cube SL Road Pro.
(Think it's been renamed as Cube Nulane for 2023, so you might be able to get last year's one a bit cheaper).
I've been very happy with the bike, whether it's any better than the others on your list, I can't say.

@cycling_eejit thanks fella one of my musts is a single chain ring at front in my opinion it's the way to go thank you

OP
OP
GDS68

GDS68

The Marin DSX1 has a good solid spec' and is right at the top of your budget. Nice piece of kit.

You should be able to haggle 10% off the price quite easily.

Re the bikes equipped with Microshift components: I know very little about these - someone else may have an opinion and some input.

Make sure that you have budgeted for all the extras you will need if you are not already a cyclist.

@SpokeyDokey thanks again I have all the gear so that's not a problem

OP
OP
GDS68

GDS68

Check out the Whyte R7 range, Stirling is the top model nowadays

I contacted Whyte bikes today they don't have any partners in Ireland so would have to buy online and it would then be subject to duty as UK is now outside the EU. Anyhow on an amusing note on my cycle to work today what rode past me but a Whyte bike !! What are the chances.

For commuting you need a set of standard eyelets for rack and mudguards. If the bike lacks them it is a nice toy, if it has propietory fixings it is not a serious utility bike.

Jameshow

Veteran
The Marin DSX1 has a good solid spec' and is right at the top of your budget. Nice piece of kit.

You should be able to haggle 10% off the price quite easily.

Re the bikes equipped with Microshift components: I know very little about these - someone else may have an opinion and some input.

Make sure that you have budgeted for all the extras you will need if you are not already a cyclist.

My friend had a Cannondale topstone with microshift and sent it back, I had it on a winter bike and swapped it out for tiagra much better.

Campag980

Regular
My friend had a Cannondale topstone with microshift and sent it back, I had it on a winter bike and swapped it out for tiagra much better.

Well now that I've managed a whole 18 miles on my Microshift equipped Sirrus X 3..... absolutely no complaints from me. Granted the 16 year old Sora rear mech. on my other bike probably gives a slicker change, but it's also doing alot less (much closer ratio block).

Campag980

Regular
My shortlist
Orbea carpe 20
Marin Presidio 1
Marin Dsx or Dsx 1
Specialized sirrus x2.0
Trek fx3
I'd love any feedback please.
Thanks Graham

Get the feeling this thread may have already died a death, but can't help feeling that the logic behind this shortlist is a bit hard to fathom.

E g. Presidio 1 available for £490 online Vs. dsx1 at £1050..... Without knowing more about the desired use (and indeed, the O.P.s attitude to money) it's kinda hard to say.

E.g. Want a bike you're going to be relatively happy to leave for hours on the street??? - well by my reckoning you could be roughly twice as happy leaving the Presidio......

Also why only the Sirrus X2 and not the X3 ??? - which at around £750 is still waaaay cheaper than a dsx1

OP
OP
GDS68

GDS68

@Campag980 sorry for lack of specifics the bike will be used daily for a 20km round trip and occasional track and dirt riding but mainly on roads . I'm in Ireland and the pricing is different here thanks for your help

flying start

Veteran
I've bought a kinesis g2 for short rides and mainly to commute on. I'd say I rushed into buying it as I'm now looking at new bikes it's a little on the small side and can't get comfortable on it. So now I'm looking at the giant fastroad ar1 flatbar going to testing it today. Looking at the bike it's not much different to the giant revolt gravel bike

Top Bottom