Hybrid for £300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

Parody, most disc brakes will squeal if not set and cleaned correctly. I would avoid Tektro DBs as they have only one adjustment bolt, one of the pads has to be adjusted using the cable tension (pain). I'm thinking of changing mine to Avid BB7 at some stage. Not because I need them, just because I see them being easier to adjust. Reading other peoples experiences with BB7s I think they still squeal if not cleaned and set correctly.
As I mentioned in my previous post disc brakes are not really needed for the cycling I do and I feel they need far more TLC than Vs to stay as quiet. If I'd known this before buying the bike I wouldn't have got too hung up on discs, but now I've got them I'll work to improve them.
May be other people may disagree about the performance of DBs.

OP
OP
P

parody

Sounds like V is for me then, I don't want to spend too long farting about with them - use/abuse and back in the shed for me! I'm sure they are great if you get a decent set and are an enthusiastic maintainer.

So that leaves one choice for the mrs, but the GT or specialized for me. Now I know the GT has a better derailleur on the rear, apart from that and a different fork model I can't see anything else?

I put the wrong link above for the specialized
http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2011-crosstrail

Sounds like V is for me then, I don't want to spend too long farting about with them - use/abuse and back in the shed for me! I'm sure they are great if you get a decent set and are an enthusiastic maintainer.

So that leaves one choice for the mrs, but the GT or specialized for me. Now I know the GT has a better derailleur on the rear, apart from that and a different fork model I can't see anything else?

I put the wrong link above for the specialized
http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2011-crosstrail

For my £300 of the ones you've shortlisted I'd get this one:thumbsup: No real reason, just prefer the look over the GT?

Top Bottom