Hybrid In Sportives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
What’s everyone’s opinions on entering a sportive on a Hybrid bike? Is it a big no no? I fancy doing a few 100 mile ones – but my mates say its pretty much road bikes only?

Will probably be buying a road bike in the late summer – so might have to wait for the winter to enter any?

Thanks for your advice guys!!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
People ride hybrids in them all the time. You see all sorts of bikes on a sportive. Just enter and enjoy yourself.

compo

Veteran
I have seen three speed town bikes, mountain bikes, hybrids and all sorts on sportivs. Obviously the biggest number of bikes are road bikes but you certainly wont be alone on a hybrid.

Some of the sportier hybrids will do 100 miles no problem. The only thing that would concern me would be getting numb hands/wrists. You see comments on this forum all the time about people getting these after about 30 miles or so.

compo

Veteran
I'd guess that 'proper' cyclists with top range bikes don't like being passed/beaten by plebs on hybrids.

Even more reason to ride one! :thumbsup:

I ride a hybrid and dislike being overtaken by muddy types on MTB's. Unfortunately I have got used to it ^_^

Some of the sportier hybrids will do 100 miles no problem. The only thing that would concern me would be getting numb hands/wrists. You see comments on this forum all the time about people getting these after about 30 miles or so.

Rubbish!:tongue:

I've been riding a none drop bar hybrid, with either flat bars + ends or (for a time) butterlfy bars of distances upto 100 miles at a time with no issues, same with any drop bar provided your flat allows you to move around the bar its fine.

flissh

I love this forum! I was wondering that. I've got a flat bar road bike....(is that a hybrid? or is there a subtle difference?):unsure:

Top Bottom