Hybrid, mountain or cyclocross.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richie244

Really enjoying my cycling and now my kids have the bug and Wife is looking to get a Hybrid for family cycles.

My road bike is probably not suitable as much as it would be good for competitive dad. I would like something that I might get a little more use out of.

I guess the question is, would a cycle cross bike be to aggressive for the job, and would a mountain bike be over kill?

Also any recommends for a sub £300 that will do the job. (budget would rise for a cyclocross or mountain.)

vickster

Legendary Member
What terrain are you riding? If proper off road, an MTB, if towpaths and paths through parks, a hybrid is more than suitable

Why would a CX bike be too aggressive?

Look at the Carrera subway in Halfords perhaps? Or a secondhand hybrid, you could get front suspension if riding rougher stuff and have no need for speed on roads. This sounds most appropriate if your wife is getting a hybrid and you'll be riding with her

Depends what else you might use the bike for if anything

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

Wont be going "off road" so sticking to gravel paths at worst with the kids. Hybrid it is I think. Guess I was looking for an excuse for a CX but not exactly a Sunday ride in the park tool.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Family cycling: How are you going to get there, by car, ride there......... I always found that family cycling meant taking the bikes with us which meant loading on and off cars, leaning them against things, dropping them on the floor to attend to something, locking them up together for a cafe stop or other etc, etc... So things tend to get a bit bashed in comparison to normal. With that in mind, don't overspec it. I used to use my old Marin bear Valley for this, a rigid mtn bike now finally retired to loaded touring and it has the patina of use all over it. A cheaper hybrid with wider tyres will probably be ideal until the kids get older and want to do some proper mtn bike trails, then it's another story.

Top Bottom