Hybrid or cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been cycling to work for the last 6 months on a Specialized Crosstrail, it's a 7.5 mile ride on mainly road and cycle route pathway next to a tramline. I have been doing this fine however I have recently been suffering from backache from the riding.

It must be down to the riding position, I've been thinking of buying a cyclocross on the c2w as I've always preferred the drop bars and I've read it's a more comfortable riding position.

What's people's opinions on this? Would it make much difference comfort wise to go for the cyclocross and what sort of speed difference would there be between hybrid and cyclocross?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
IMO you can get comfy on any bike if you dial in the right position. I have a hybrid for commuting that is also good for 100+ miles when necessary and there is little to pick between hybrid and my modern drop bar road bike in the comfort stakes. I also have an MTB that is rapidly approaching 20 years old and that too is good for 100+ miles (I did a 100 mile ride in 2012 and was sweet at the end, could've done more!!).
I do find that when using my road bike I rarely use the drops. Most common is to ride on the hoods (brake levers) then sometimes on the tops for a change of position. When I do ride using the drops I feel slightly less in control but this might just be me? For all intents and purposes I could cut off all the bars below the brake levers and never really notice.
I think drop bar or flat bar comes down to personal preferance (IMO flats and bar ends are best) but I reckon you need to tinker with the position on your current bike before changing to a new ride altogether. I always thought I liked my rides long and low but it was a bit of a shock when I realised I was feeling a bit cramped on the road bike and I was much happier once the stem was flipped to give a higher bar position.

P.H

Über Member
15 miles a day, through the worst part of the year, you've earned yourself a new bike.
But before you go spending any cash, you need to work out what's causing the back ache. It's a bit odd that it's only started recently, has something changed? Usually such aches are caused by riding position, though you'd expect it to be a problem from the start. I'd work out how to get comfy on the bike you have and use that to inform on what you want to get next. The Crosstrail looks a decent bike, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get comfortable on it.
There's pros and cons with straight bars and drops, I use both on different bikes, on straight bars with bar ends I can replicate every position on drops except the drops themselves, plus the positions that are the same can be better on the flat bars by using good quality grips. Flat bars also offer more braking options. I know it's easy shorthand to categoriise bikes as CX or Hybrid, but really each name covers such a variety of stuff it can be misleading. I'd start with a list of what you want and find the bike that most closely matches it. Speed difference, hahahahah! Apart from the effort you put in, the thing that could make most difference to speed is aerodynamics, mostly yours. Then comes weight - riders, wheels, luggage, frame, components - pretty much in that order. Any gains from changing bike will be very marginal. Going back to comfort, the more comfortable you are, the more effort you can put in and that really can make a difference.
EDIT - Skol beat me to it, I type slow! But I'll leave my post unchanged, that we both offer similar advice only reinforces the points made.

That Scott is really nice and a mega discount!

Top Bottom