Hybrid or Road bike

ricgreen

Member
Hello to all

I have posted this question on other cycling forums
So just hoping someone can/will help.

New to this site I originally went for a mountain bike (cube analog)

However I have realised
That I need a bike for commuting and on and off road cycling, also looking to do some road charity events
As my passion for cycling has gathered some pace recently
would like your advice please
As mentioned my gut feeling says go for a Hybrid

My recent cycling has found me preferring off road, as there's less concern of safety issues
Eg Road cycling with maniac car/lorry/bus drivers etc etc
but realistically a mountain bike for longish road/ off road cycling is hard work and seems not logical.

So please advise
A Hybrid that can do road riding to a very good standard with some cycle paths/ off road.

I should also confirm I have been cycling between 10 and 30 miles a day recently and those big chunky tyres on my Cube analog take some peddling lol
The bike will also be purchased through the cycle to work scheme

What would you say please ?
Budget up to approx £1000ish

Thanks in advance for any help
 

Cyclist33

Guest
Location
Warrington
http://m.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/quick-speed-1-2015-hybrid-bike-ec071039

I had an earlier incarnation of this, it went anywhere I asked of it, and quickly and comfortably.
 

sidevalve

Über Member
Road every time. They are not the delicate blooms people imagine them to be and can easily deal with gentle off road tacks / trails such as you seem to intend to use - just keep the speed down if the going gets a little rough-ish. Further most hybrids [like the one above] seem to hide their weight - why ? Just avoid the extreme race bred steed [easy at your budget] and it will do 90% of you riding with ease and the other 10% with care.
 
OP
R

ricgreen

Member
http://m.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/quick-speed-1-2015-hybrid-bike-ec071039

I had an earlier incarnation of this, it went anywhere I asked of it, and quickly and comfortably.
Road every time. They are not the delicate blooms people imagine them to be and can easily deal with gentle off road tacks / trails such as you seem to intend to use - just keep the speed down if the going gets a little rough-ish. Further most hybrids [like the one above] seem to hide their weight - why ? Just avoid the extreme race bred steed [easy at your budget] and it will do 90% of you riding with ease and the other 10% with care.
How about a CX bike?

Just to confuse you a little more :crazy:
That's amazing of the 4 reply I've had to my question There's 4 different answers.

1)The cannondale Hybrid.
Would anyone care to add to this suggestion

2)Road bike every time
Again advice on which bike would be good and any extra info would be good.

3)How about a CX bike
Which CX bikes would you suggest and why ?

4)Put slicks on the mountain bike.
This is obviously the cheapest option, any more info would be good.

Can anyone else add to the different options suggested and put some sound advice on the best options.

Thanks
 

Cyclist33

Guest
Location
Warrington
Road every time. They are not the delicate blooms people imagine them to be and can easily deal with gentle off road tacks / trails such as you seem to intend to use - just keep the speed down if the going gets a little rough-ish. Further most hybrids [like the one above] seem to hide their weight - why ? Just avoid the extreme race bred steed [easy at your budget] and it will do 90% of you riding with ease and the other 10% with care.
They hide their weight because it isn't the most important thing, anyway loads of brands don't publish their Road bike weights.

The Quick is plenty light enough. I got mine down to 9.5 kg with a nice pair of wheels.
 
OP
R

ricgreen

Member
They hide their weight because it isn't the most important thing, anyway loads of brands don't publish their Road bike weights.

The Quick is plenty light enough. I got mine down to 9.5 kg with a nice pair of wheels.
Thanks for the reply
But Im not to sure What you mean by the Quick ?

Please spell it out, as I'm not to up with it.
Thanks
 

vickster

Legendary Member
It's the bike he linked, a cannondale quick

Do you have access to an Evans, photo ID, bank card charged a penny and go test ride a couple of bikes, road, cx, flat bar in your price range and see what you think :smile:

How off road is off road, a path through a park, a tow path or a bumpy tree strewn track through a wood...it makes a difference :smile:
 
OP
R

ricgreen

Member
Hi vickster.
Thanks for the reply, and for pointing out the obvious regarding cannon dale quick (sorry for not reading the reply quickly)

As far as road bikes and cx bikes go & Hybrids
What's your view ?

Off road for me can be woodland paths,
Yes some bumpy tracks and maybe a field path.
Nothing mad,

But the bike needs to be a good roader for possible commuting and some charity road events are a possibility.

Yes I will Deffo go for a test ride before buying
But was hoping to be pointed towards a road/cx or hybrid first

Thanks

What's
 

vickster

Legendary Member
CX sounds like a good compromise, unless you prefer flat bars, then a rigid fork, something like a trek 7.x , a Whyte r7 model, or the cannondale suggested, there's no need for suspension...or you might as well use what you have, albeit with slicker tyres like a schwalbe city jet
 
OP
R

ricgreen

Member
CX sounds like a good compromise, unless you prefer flat bars, then a rigid fork, something like a trek 7.x , a Whyte r7 model, or the cannondale suggested, there's no need for suspension...or you might as well use what you have, albeit with slicker tyres like a schwalbe city jet
Sorry to be a pain Vickster
But could you be a bit more specific with the 2 bikes you have mentioned

Trek 7.x
Whyte r7

Which exactly are you referring to ?
Prices model etc

I've googled both bikes but not getting a specific exact model

Thanks
 

Wafer

Veteran
As you've mentioned a budget of £1000, the Whyte R7 would probably be the Stirling, but of course you might find a cheaper model suits your needs too http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/whyte-stirling-15
Similarly a range of Trek's http://www.evanscycles.com/brands/trek/f/unisex/rigid#!Categories=Bikes,Hybrid Bikes!price_to=1875;sort=popularity;price_from=260

A number of CX bikes too, have a look at some http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/cyclocross-bikes#!Brake Type=Mechanical Disc,Hydraulic Disc!price_from=745;price_to=1125;on_sale=;sort=popularity;

The Pinnacle Arkose 3 has been tempting me recently, and the Cannondale CAADX 105 is what I was hoping to get before I ended up getting a road bike instead. Also wishing my local bike shop that sells Focus had the Mares AX 2.0/3.0 in to try http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/focus-mares-ax-2-0-disc-15 I want the price of the 3.0 but the colour of the 2.0....

Do you know what brands your local stores sell? There's a wide range of options but if you want to try it locally you'll need somewhere that sells them...
 

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
R

ricgreen

Member
As you've mentioned a budget of £1000, the Whyte R7 would probably be the Stirling, but of course you might find a cheaper model suits your needs too http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/whyte-stirling-15
Similarly a range of Trek's http://www.evanscycles.com/brands/trek/f/unisex/rigid#!Categories=Bikes,Hybrid Bikes!price_to=1875;sort=popularity;price_from=260

A number of CX bikes too, have a look at some http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/cyclocross-bikes#!Brake Type=Mechanical Disc,Hydraulic Disc!price_from=745;price_to=1125;on_sale=;sort=popularity;

The Pinnacle Arkose 3 has been tempting me recently, and the Cannondale CAADX 105 is what I was hoping to get before I ended up getting a road bike instead. Also wishing my local bike shop that sells Focus had the Mares AX 2.0/3.0 in to try http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/focus-mares-ax-2-0-disc-15 I want the price of the 3.0 but the colour of the 2.0....

Do you know what brands your local stores sell? There's a wide range of options but if you want to try it locally you'll need somewhere that sells them...
Wafer
Sorry for the delay in replying, have been at work all day

Thanks for the advice I will start to sift through your links and advice.

Thanks so far
 
Top Bottom