Hybrid or Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

ricgreen

You've got a full range, find a dealer who sells them. Cyclesurgery do as well as independents

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/commuterroad/

The trek 7.x series, x= a number... depends how much you really want to spend, what spec you want

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/city/recreation/fx/

Where do you live, what local shops do you have? Where can you use your c2w voucher?

The Boardman flatbars and cx bikes are decent too, good spec for the cash

Hi vickster
Also thanks for your reply and help
Sorry for the delay in responding I have been at work all day.

I will also start to look through your advice and links.

I live in Warwickshire and there's plenty of shops I will travel to if needs be.
The cycle to work scheme also gives me lots of choices in cycle shops.

Thanks again & please feel free to add anything else

Ciar

Veteran
Just tagging on to this thread, but i am about to purchase a new bike as my Cannondale CX needs a change it was slightly small as i discovered sometime after buying it and having constant issue with seat heigh and position.

so my dillema is only ride road on this bike for commuting as i have a seperate MTB for the fun stuff, looking for a hybrid sports style bike and the shop i might purchase from only does ridgeback and genesis.. but if i decide not to go with them anyone have any recommendations? looking for disks and be able to add mudguards.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte R7 range. Whichever fits your budget. Some good deals on older models on the web if happy buying online. My Cambridge for example fits your spec

That said ridgeback and genesis have good ranges :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
That's amazing of the 4 reply I've had to my question There's 4 different answers.

1)The cannondale Hybrid.
Would anyone care to add to this suggestion

2)Road bike every time
Again advice on which bike would be good and any extra info would be good.

3)How about a CX bike
Which CX bikes would you suggest and why ?

4)Put slicks on the mountain bike.
This is obviously the cheapest option, any more info would be good.

Can anyone else add to the different options suggested and put some sound advice on the best options.

Thanks
Not to be rude but you're near as asking people to tell you what your favourite colour should be.

I would echo the CX suggestion as it seems the best fit for your fast but rugged requirements - you can use a road bike on loose stuff but such thin hard tyres do make for some interesting (ahem) moments, hard thin tyres added to the more aggressive frame geometry can make for a less comfortable ride off the tarmac too. A hybrid/flat bar fasty does leave you more sat up hitting the wind chest first and if you're doing long rides especially in autumn / winter you will gain a benefit from drop bars and being able to get down out of that buffeting and poorer weather. All in a CX IMO could be your ideal answer, as to which one...... You should go to a few shops and try different ones, find the one that suits your bum and arms and neck and etc rather than mine or anyone elses. Just to chuck in a few names to Google: Kona, Boardman, Cannondale, Specialized, the Genesis Croix de Fer seems popular & I was very taken with my Edinburgh Bikes own brand Revolution Cross - as was the scumbag who stole it from my son - It would also give you change from your C2W maximum budget, None of these are an endorsement tho & all the fun of getting a new bike is going out throwing your leg over a few.

Edit: and keep the MTB for really rough playing :smile:

You need something like this (hope this works) :-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 37

Bicykell

I've been very happy with my Sirrus, and there is a disc version available. It's worth a try. I'm heading in the direction of drop bar road bike from hybrid, wanting to look Interesting to Know to Laydees.. Keep going out, riding round trying to decide if I want something carbon or steel, with sensible provision for mudguards and a rack or saying bollocks I have the sirrus for common sense, go for a reet flash racer while you can still enjoy being a wrinkly hooligan.

Ciar

Veteran
Lovely appreciate the replies given me a good few ideas to ponder, i will be popping into shops so i can check sizing and hopefully test out some bikes :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
@Ciar I shall be selling my Whyte Cambridge, perfect commuter & set up as such. (rack, guards, marathon+) Not sure what your budget is, I'd be looking for around £275. Let me know if interested, Medium, suit up to 5'9

Ciar

Veteran
Hi Vickster,

very kind but i am slightly too tall at 6ft :smile:
@Ciar I shall be selling my Whyte Cambridge, perfect commuter & set up as such. (rack, guards, marathon+) Not sure what your budget is, I'd be looking for around £275. Let me know if interested, Medium, suit up to 5'9

Thank you for the heads up but i am slightly too tall at 6ft im afraid to say :smile:

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I've alternated between hybrid and road bikes. I now have a carbon road bike, but used a Trek fx 7.2 (one that Vickster is suggesting), for a while. On the road, it wasn't much slower than a road bike, and was more comfortable, plus I was able to do a moderate mountain bike trail on it.

Basically it's all down to personal preference. I'd say, decide for yourself if you value speed or comfort more. If you prefer the aesthetics of a road bike, or a hybrid. If you want disc brakes or not.

If I was in your position, I would seriously consider a Cyclo-cross bike, for great performance on road, and off, plus disc brakes, and reasonably light weight. But only if you're happy with a drop bar bike. If not, you'll get a really nice Trek FX in budget (with cash to spare). In fact, I'd suggest saving a couple of hundred to put towards a professional bike fit, which will make an enormous difference in how much you enjoy whatever you buy. I'd say that 'the right bike' is less than 50% down to choice of bike, and more than 50% down to making it fit you well! (Unless it just happens to fit you perfectly off the shelf, which is unlikely).

Top Bottom