Hybrid, Road bike or Cyclocross I'm confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CorsairC

Über Member
Just looking for ideas, chat about which bike.

Current commuter
https://www.cyclechat.net/

Started commuting 2~3 times a week about 2yrs ago, to loose weight, get fit. Bad knees stopped me playing footie, but cycling seems ok once I don't push it. Commute is 14km (9 miles) each way. Half of it is through a park. But good roads most of the way. More or less flat except for dip across a river valley. With kids and all theres not much change of getting out on the bike at the weekend. So the plan was to increase the frequency of the commute then extend it. Maybe in thew future do longer rides. Its been kinda stop start as I've had a few minor things that stopped me commuting a few times. Got knocked off, injured playing footie, chest infections etc. Then just plain busy.

So here we are. Originally the plan was use the MTB and then if I still was doing it after a few months, get a bike on the C2W when it kicked in. The C2W didn't happen for a year though. Meanwhile I've had to fix the MTB a few times. Starts to add up that. Currently getting the gear pods fixed.

At the moment I can't decide between a hub geared hybrid, a Road Bike or a Cyclocross. I tried a flat bared road bike for a while, (was wrong size) Giant FCR1and I didn't like the sit up position. I much prefer the stretched out position I have on the MTB. The speed and light weight of FCR1 was great though. At the moment I'm thinking Giant Defy 3.5, Felt Hybrid, Specialized Allez/Secteur, or a Cyclocross.

I guess I dunno if I should by a bike for the commute or one that can be used for longer distances. The MTB would become the wet day bike, load lugger. Maybe even put fat mtb tyres on it again.

Ideas? Suggestions?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What do you want a cross bike for (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Also what do you mean by stretched out position of the MTB?

Go for the fastest and lightest, it'll take the hammer. Only thing is if you want it for a commute you might need a rack.

OP
OP
C

CorsairC

Über Member
I did say I was confused...

I keep reading the crossers make a good commuter. or a good around if you are only getting one bike. I only get one chance with the C2W

A lot of the road bikes do not have eyelets for mudguards/rack. The Giant does though.

On the MTB I have the saddle high and the handlebar low and I like that. I suspect the MTB I have is slightly too big for me though. Despote me having it for years and years. I only noticed when commuting, and the saddle broke. Since I replaced it, I've noticed I can't move it as forward enough, as I'd want.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I think it's best to ignore generic descriptions as what they mean varies between manufacturers. Work out exactly what you want the bike to be able to do and what features you require. Once you have that then look at what bikes best match this spec. Pick the main deal breaking bits first:-

tyre size, brake system, mud guard fittings, rack fittings, frame material

then look at mechanicals like:-

single speed, fixed, derailler gears, hub gears, dynamo lighting

understand what works with what:-

handlebars, shifters and brakes - these can be expensive changes to make after the fact.

In your position I'd be tempted by two bikes, a cross/tourer for commuting, ie takes rack, guards, bigger tyres etc and a little something for the weekend:biggrin: Nothing to stop you using the nicer/lighter/quicker bike to commute on nice days. For the commuter I'd look at single speed/fixed before considering hub gears, based on how you described your commute. I spent a lot of money on a 9 speed hub gear bike for my 40 mile round trip commute. If I was buying again I'd have no more than a 3 speed and probably SS/fixed. As the setups are similar you could easily have two rear wheels and swap between hub geared and SS/fixed as you felt like it.

If you go for a fancy road bike for commuting then you'll want an even fancier road bike for the weekend. I'd also consider handlebars carefully and avoid plain flat bars. Drops or trekking/butterfly bars work well, but fittings wouldn't be interchangeable.

If you search on my username I'm sure there's a thread about the ideal commuter bike(not started by me though) with lots of views on it.

MacB

marinyork said:
What do you want a cross bike for (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Also what do you mean by stretched out position of the MTB?

Go for the fastest and lightest, it'll take the hammer. Only thing is if you want it for a commute you might need a rack.

Marin, I think the confusion is arising because people want a road bike that takes bigger tyres, racks etc, but don't want a full on tourer. Cross bikes are being marketed in this niche as are hybrids/flat bar road bikes. That's why I mention working out needs then seeing what fits rather than trying to select a type of bike.

OP
OP
C

CorsairC

Über Member
I love the idea of a fixie, but I don't think my knees would be up to it. There no real hills only about 900ft but its enough that I need gears. Also I tend to have a lot of head winds. So I need some gears.

I'll check out the links thanks.

MacB

CorsairC said:
I love the idea of a fixie, but I don't think my knees would be up to it. There no real hills only about 900ft but its enough that I need gears. Also I tend to have a lot of head winds. So I need some gears.

I'll check out the links thanks.

which is one of the reasons it's quite hard to recommend bikes, plus most of us only really have experience of a very small range. My riding style lends itself more to fewer gears, ie I'll vary my tempo or get out of the saddle a lot. If you like to ride at a smooth tempo then more gears are required. But I didn't know this when I specced up my commuter, I tried both styles at various points. But things get confused as you can also be gaining fitness and losing weight at the same time. It was hundreds of miles before I realised I preferred minimal gear changes to effort conservation. But my commute had full facilities for showering etc at both ends.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Kona dew drop make for a nice commuter, and can be had for a good price

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
MacB said:
Marin, I think the confusion is arising because people want a road bike that takes bigger tyres, racks etc, but don't want a full on tourer. Cross bikes are being marketed in this niche as are hybrids/flat bar road bikes. That's why I mention working out needs then seeing what fits rather than trying to select a type of bike.

Hmmm that is interesting. Some very nice specs on cross bikes for commuting I can see that. I think I'd just get something with sufficient eyes and clearance. Can't see a problem with these bikes, they are way lighter than my commuter ;). Secteur, still cracks me up people commute on those.

Norm

Specialized don't have a tourer, they consider their Tricross (marketed as a CX style bike) to cover that market too.

What's wrong with commuting on a Secteur?

potsy

Rambler
marinyork said:
Hmmm that is interesting. Some very nice specs on cross bikes for commuting I can see that. I think I'd just get something with sufficient eyes and clearance. Can't see a problem with these bikes, they are way lighter than my commuter ;). Secteur, still cracks me up people commute on those.
I have a hybrid,commuted up with rack,guards,M+ etc but know which bike i prefer to go to work on:biggrin:
I'm fortunate in that I don't need to carry much on a daily basis,tend to take stuff in on a Saturday morning in the car if need be.

Top Bottom