Hybrid, Road, or Cyclocross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wafer

Veteran
I went through a slightly more road oriented decision recently. I was quite keen on the CX option and was pretty set on a Cannondale caadx once I saw it in person, but availability was an issue. Ended up ordering a roadier bike (Synapse) which I'm sure will be great but it doesn't have the clearance for tyres larger than about 28 and with comfort in mind I was liking the look of the Caadx with Schwalbe Sammy Slick 700×35c.
I live about half a mile from a canal so I was thinking cx bike would be nice for the bumpy roads as well as those kinds of tracks but it may well have been overkill for that kind of thing.

Waiting to see how I get on with the Synapse and it's 25c tyres to decide if I've made the right decision or not (I'm pretty sure it is the right decision, just seems easier to put narrower tyres on a cx bike than fatter tyres on a road bike so cx seemed more flexible).

Cyclist33

Cross if you want to do the trails and paths - you could do them on a road bike, but it's be no fun. It's be like wearing brogues to play rugby.

Don't completely agree. Trails on a road bike with skinny slicks can be great fun. Think a better adjective might be "unsuitable"!

Cyclist33

In real terms, how much difference would there be between the road and Cross? Also I presume that I could always change tyres etc at a later stage if needed. At present my ride is approx 95% road and 5% path & trail. Not sure exactly how much more this will increase though.

Ditto between road and hybrid. In any meaningful sense for someone at your level, you won't be worlds apart on any of the three bike types.

Cyclist33

Disc brakes are great for a commuter IMO

Don't understand why... when going slowly through traffic or whatever, rim brakes offer easily >ample stopping power. When going fast you anticipate what's coming up further in advance and brake accordingly. Good use, and maintenance, of the rear and front brakes as intended should mean you're never short of stopping power.

vickster

Legendary Member
London traffic is incredibly unpredictable, not least other cyclists! Personally I never feel comfortable braking in an hurry on STIs especially, and even more so when riding clipless. Hence cross levers on the genesis which I am more likely to ride in traffic...the Pearson doesn't have them and makes me nervous riding it, especially now

After my accident, I want as much control over the bike as possible, so at least that isn't a concern with all the other loons in buses, lorries, vans, cars and on bikes, of all sorts!

OP
OP
saul

saul

Thanks everyone for their input and advise, think it will be the cross I go for. Which one?, is now the question!! :wacko:

evo456

Über Member
Go cross, with a road bike you 'll have to be certain you'll be riding on the roads and at a push a little rough terrain. With a cross you can choose whatever surfaces and routes that take your fancy during your ride. Like a hybrid the greatest strength is it's versatility. I recently did a 100k event that was a mixture of road s, tow paths and mud. it is exactly the conditions a cross bike shines. Equally though, it could have been done on a mtb, or a hybrid.

OP
OP
saul

saul

Go cross, with a road bike you 'll have to be certain you'll be riding on the roads and at a push a little rough terrain. With a cross you can choose whatever surfaces and routes that take your fancy during your ride. Like a hybrid the greatest strength is it's versatility. I recently did a 100k event that was a mixture of road s, tow paths and mud. it is exactly the conditions a cross bike shines. Equally though, it could have been done on a mtb, or a hybrid.

Thanks, that's what I'll probably go for. Need now to create a thread for recommendations.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
'Cross sounds the best bet for what you plan to do with it.

If you can reserve the hybrid for your towpath riding, a road bike will give you something more different on tarmac though.

OP
OP
saul

saul

'Cross sounds the best bet for what you plan to do with it.

If you can reserve the hybrid for your towpath riding, a road bike will give you something more different on tarmac though.

Tbh, will need to get rid of hybrid and finance the cross. The cross concept seems the best, as an all rounder, year round bike.

evo456

Über Member
I would say, at your price point don't get too hung up about disc brakes. I've got the linked boardman and unfortunately it wasn't the buy it and ride it experience. The disc brakes were a pain and the Sora groupset wasn't the smoothest. However at the budget you set, you'll find Sora + cable operated disc brakes the norm.

OP
OP
saul

saul

May increase the budget to £800. This was the first cross I've seen. Sorry for sounding stupid, what is Sora?

evo456

Über Member
Google group sets , basically it's the equipment level of component which varies in spec, weight , feel and price

Top Bottom