Hybrid tyres..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ruttager

Recently taken up cycling again after many years away, got a specialized crosstrail comp hybrid bike through cycle to work scheme. I cycle mainly on a cinder track and road, I check tyre pressure daily, yet in the last few days I've had 9 punctures. I'm thinking of changing the tyres to something a bit more robust but don't know where to start.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Personally i'd put 700*40 Marathon Plus Tours on it, they're about as robust as you can get and knobbly enough to be reasonable on trails/roads. They're quite heavy but its very rare to puncture them. http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/39990/Schwalbe_Marathon_Plus_Tour_700c_Wire_Tyre Also quite expensive but they last thousands and thousands of miles, one of my sets is approaching 3000 miles and has plenty of life in, some people have quoted as much as 8000 miles from M+. :smile: A friend of mine has them on his Crosstrail and really likes them.

Crosstrailer

Ruttager

Are you using the Borough XC tyre ?. 9 punctures is a heck of a lot, without sounding rude are you sure you have checked the tyre for debris which might be causing repeat punctures ?

Reactions: akb

Pauluk

I've just bought Marathon + for my bike as I was fed up of getting rear punctures. They are a bit harder to fit but they have very good reviews. I got mine from Amazon at £23.80 each incl postage.

OP
OP
Ruttager

Ruttager

hi and thanks for the responses, im using the tyres that came on the bike (Specialized Borough XC Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, 700x45c), myself and three other people have check for debris and found nothing. I've only been cycling to work on it for the last three weeks, first two weeks no problems, this week has been a nightmare. Being new to this I dont understand that much about tyres etc, 700x45c.. I take it thats the size and thickness of the tyre? thanks once again.

OP
OP
Ruttager

Ruttager

ive now ordered 2 x Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700X38C Wired Tyres.
will let you know how it goes.
thanks for your help.

Ivan Ardon

You did right. The tyres that Specialized fit on a new bike are, in my experience, rubbish. From a sample of three new bikes - my Allez Sport, a colleague's Tricross and another Sirrus - all got punctures that went away by changing to Paselas, Marathons and Marathon plus respectively.

Pauluk

Ruttager said:
im using the tyres that came on the bike (Specialized Borough XC Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, 700x45c)
My hybrid came with 700 X 45mm tyres which I changed to 35mm because I felt that 45mm were to big for the 17mm rims. I can understand why manufactures do this on 26" MTB wheels but not sure why they fit over sized tyres on 700mm hybrids.

Crosstrailer

I haven't had puncture problems (only had 1) on my 2012 Crosstrail Comp but I am not particularly impressed at the wear rate. Having read several positive reviews on the Schwalbe Marathon Plus including Jamie's above I am going to change them for the Borough's (700x38). I like the idea that you can push a thumbtack into them and still not puncture them and the really low wear rate, not overly impressed with the weight but hey whats 500g :smile:

musclegood

in my experience,. You did right. The tyres that Specialized fit on a new bike are,
188.jpg

Top Bottom