hybrid v cyclocross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mzyawst

Hi,
I'm keen to get into cycling. Not hugely keen on cycling on the road, but would like the versatility to do so. More likely to use cycle paths/woodland trails/country parks etc. I've always had mountain bikes in the past, but haven't regularly used a bike in years.

I'm just wondering what sort of bike would be best for me? It will mainly be for leisure! I've looked at the Boardman 8.6 and 8.8, and the Voodoo Limba so far.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you want flat or dropped handlebars?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Either would handle the sort of terrain you envisage, it comes down to the two answers above. What would you be more comfortable using?

DRM

Guru
↑ this

If you want flat bars it's a hybrid. Drop bars then cyclocross/gravel. Unsure? Try a couple out.
This, go to Halfords and sit on a few, see how they feel, don't get fobbed off re: sizes, they may not have your size on the shop floor, the Voodoo is a good bike, but personally I'd look at the Boardman range in both flat and drop bars, if you get into cycling It'll work out cheaper than buying the Voodoo, then selling it to get one in a better spec.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don’t think you’re going to learn much by sitting on them in a showroom, nor by riding it around a yard or car park. You really need to go for a ride. If you have mates with similar bikes and flat/drop bars see if can borrow them and do a few miles, you’ll soon know which you prefer.

DRM

Guru
The OP needs to see them in the flesh size wise, so that they are not too small/too big, many people don't have mates who can let them have a go on their bike to see what it's like.
Perhaps the OP could come back and say how tall they are so we can point them in the right direction regarding what size should be suitable

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
If you still have (or have access to) a 'mountain' bike, I'd recommend getting out, on the terrain you describe: cycle paths/woodland trails/country parks - on that bike. That will confirm that this is not just a 'buy something' itch and also give you an insight to what you really really want in terms of main things of importance to you and will help you decide (with all the advice above and no doubt below) "what sort of bike would be best for" you.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Having owned one I don’t think the Boardman 8.8 would be good for Woodland Tracks. Not with the stock tyres anyway. Perhaps if you placed some nobbly tyres on it would be ok for some tracks.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want to stay off roads, then a mountain bike would do you fine (27.5 or 29” wheels). Get one with a lock out on the fork in case you do stray onto tarmac for a few miles :okay:

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Any decent hybrid would do for the kind of cycling you have in mind and would give you more versatility than a mountain bike. I’ve gone on decent length club rides on my Specialized Sirrus in the past; I’ve also taken it on dirt tracks and country paths. £150 purchase second hand on eBay a few years ago.

Tommohawk

I have a Giant Escape hybrid. It was £800 and does everything that you are looking for. Worth a look.

Top Bottom