hybrid v mountain bike - different muscles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawn72

I've been riding my hybrid regularly for the past couple of months and now do regular outings of 30+ miles, which I'm pleased with as I've only recently started cycling. I got a new mountain bike on Tuesday as there's lots of fields, farm track and forestry roads near where I live. I took it out yesterday and did my regular run of 32 miles on cycle path alongside loch lomond to get a feel for it. My time was around 10 minutes slower than on my hybrid and I felt I had to work a lot harder,although I did still enjoy the ride. The muscles just at the top of my bum feel a little tired and sore today which I've never had on my hybrid and doesn't feel like saddle soreness. The mountain bike is a 29 er so bigger wheels than my hybrid. Is it simply the difference in rolling resistance between the 2 bikes that means I've had to work harder or do the 2 bikes require different muscles being used?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Its down to the fatter tyres having more rolling resistance, take them up to max rated pressure (printed on sidewall) and they'll be better on the road.
But you'll still have to work harder to achieve the same time as they won't spin up as fast.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
I've been using the Hybrid for the work commute and i couldnt go back to the MTB for it now. I use MTB offroad for leisurely Sunday pootles out but i feel it!!

ScotiaLass

Guru
MTB'S can be hard work. I keep my tyres at the max pressure when I know I won't be on off-road type surfaces.
I notice a difference when on my hybrid!
It could be the different saddle on the MTB and the riding position is different too.

KneesUp

Guru
I suspect the MTB is significantly heavier, both overall, and in terms of rotating mass (it's got fatter wheels and tyres) - rotating mass has the most effect on how lively it feels as I recall.

Do both bikes have suspension? This also soaks up energy, so if the MTB has it and the hybrid does not that would also explain some of the difference.

OP
OP
dawn72

dawn72

There's only 2 kg of a difference in the weight of my bikes. The hybrid has no suspension and the kili mb has a lockout on the suspension so that shouldn't have anything to do with it as I shut it off. My average speed over the 32 miles was 12.6 mph on the mountain bike so I'm still quite happy with that. I don't mind the extra hard work at all as it will help my fitness and its great to be able to choose from the bikes depending on what I'm looking to get out of a ride.

KneesUp

Guru
2kg means one is between 15% and 20% heavier than the other - that's quite a lot.

If it's all in the wheels it's a heck of a lot :smile:

OP
OP
dawn72

dawn72

I thought I'd feel it in my legs, if anywhere. Oh well - buns of steel, here I come!

Yorksman

I have a light MTB with 2.25" (about 57mm) tyres and it is significantly slower than my heavier touring bike with 35mm tyres. The MTB leans me further forward, I get sore wrists and a numb bum is something you have to get used to. It is however much safer on a rough path down a hill and I feel safer on it in the woods or even on a canal tow path. I would not contemplate using my tourer anywhere where there was sand and even some gravel tracks, where they use very coarse gravel, have to be ridden carefully.

You have to experiement with saddle height and saddle angle and how far forward you have it set and the same with the handlebars. I know some people who have 4 or 5 different handlebars for their MTBs and swap according to what they are riding.

Saddles are one of the most discussed aspects of cycling.

Yorksman

This pic compares the difference in postures between a hybrid and an MTB. A road racing bike leans even further forward:

01.jpg

This site will explain the different postures and how the saddles and bars affect them, http://www.ergotec.de/en/01_haltung.php#slide-1

Top Bottom