Hybrid v 'road race' bike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
It is a very personal choice; I think you need to think about comfort convenience and fun. When I stopped riding over 30 years ago there were only two types of bike, both steel, one with lever brakes and the other a "racing bike". My racing bike had "semi-drops", a three speed Sturmey Archer with a two speed dérailleur. After being knocked off, I didn't ride until 2005 and the choice of bikes then was mind boggling.

In the end I chose a Claud Butler hybrid, mainly as it was in my price range and a nice green colour. It was a good way to get back into riding although any speed was just a dream. I then bought a second hand Flight with 28 tyres and calliper brakes.

What a shock, seemed very fast and didn't stop half as quick as the V-braked Claud. From riding these two, my conclusions are V-brakes are good for traffic, narrow tyres are quick but you have to watch for holes, badly filled trenches that are either below or above the surround tar as I used ride through anything on the Claud on the Flight they can at the least give you a nasty jolt and at worst throw you off-line. The Flight is much easier to ride, although it is 24 speed, I only use four speeds, 4-8, and occasionally third if I can't get a running start up University Ave in the evening.

My conclusion is I need more comfort, less gears, quicker brakes and still the ability to fit mudguards and rack, so my latest dream is the Genesis Day One Alfine. The big debate over flat bars or drops doesn't concern me too much, I reckon both are usable in traffic

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
er will do

I know you seem like an abrassive sod at times (no offence), but darn you hit the nail on this and many other subjects.

I have been tooing and throwing at getting bike number two, eBay hunting carbon road bikes upto £1500, but at 15 stone what the hell is the differnce going to be saving a bit of weight on the frame, and christ I reckon I would look pretty funny too. So for me it will be my 13.5 stone treat. For now my Muirwoods 29er will suffice :hello:

Power to weight is one thing... but the real difference between flat-bar bikes and drop bar bikes is the Aerodynamics of the rider and this becomes really significant as speed increases. The benefit of drops is that in most cases the rider adopts a more compact riding position and punches a smaller hole through the air. Less effort for speed/distance.
I grant you that it depends on the type of commute you have, but in most cases the effort to propel a drop-bar bike will be lower than a hybrid bike for a given person. In reality the differences in weight of the bike become insignificant. Loosing excess body lard though is generally considered a good thing for other reasons!

jimboalee

Power to weight is one thing... but the real difference between flat-bar bikes and drop bar bikes is the Aerodynamics of the rider and this becomes really significant as speed increases. The benefit of drops is that in most cases the rider adopts a more compact riding position and punches a smaller hole through the air. Less effort for speed/distance.
I grant you that it depends on the type of commute you have, but in most cases the effort to propel a drop-bar bike will be lower than a hybrid bike for a given person. In reality the differences in weight of the bike become insignificant. Loosing excess body lard though is generally considered a good thing for other reasons!

If the guy on the flat bar bike has his lumbar vertebrae at the recognised correct angle, he will be no less aerodynamic than the guy on the drop bar bike riding on the hoods.
When the guy on the drop bar bike goes in the tuck, the guy on the flat bar bike bends his arms.

The only difference which remains is the smoothness of airflow around the rider. The guy on the flat bar bike will prob' be wearing a flappyjacket, while the guy on the drop bar bike will be wearing a skin tight fleece jersey. The guy on the flat bar bike will be wearing baggie shorts and the guy on the drop bar bike will be in lycra.

Roadrace bike, slicked up MTB or hybrid. Adjust them correctly for an ergonomic ride and its all in the drag from baggyflappy clothing.

Fab Foodie

If the guy on the flat bar bike has his lumbar vertebrae at the recognised correct angle, he will be no less aerodynamic than the guy on the drop bar bike riding on the hoods.
When the guy on the drop bar bike goes in the tuck, the guy on the flat bar bike bends his arms.

The only difference which remains is the smoothness of airflow around the rider. The guy on the flat bar bike will prob' be wearing a flappyjacket, while the guy on the drop bar bike will be wearing a skin tight fleece jersey. The guy on the flat bar bike will be wearing baggie shorts and the guy on the drop bar bike will be in lycra.

Roadrace bike, slicked up MTB or hybrid. Adjust them correctly for an ergonomic ride and its all in the drag from baggyflappy clothing.
I don't disagree jimbo.
But let's face it, in the real world most flat barred/Hybrid bike riders tend to have a more upright riding position (this is often stated the reason why they want flat bars) and drop-bar bike riders will tend to be lower and more aerodynamic even on the hoods and then can be lower on the drops.

Andrew_P

In between here and there

:biggrin: you just described me, except add a few kilos of gear in a old duff rucksack, and hairy legs. Anyways managed to avg 16.4 miles on my 15 mile yesterday (tasty wind behind me)

jimboalee

The 'Holy Grail' of cycling is getting the weight distribution of the torso even across the contact points on the saddle.

Having the lumbar vertebrae at the correct inclination is supposed to put the pelvis in a position where the 'Holy Grail' is achieved.

An 'upright' seating position will place more weight on the coccyx and promote soreness between the bum cheeks, and raise the need for creams and lotions.

This was explained to me when I was thirteen, and in the twenty or so bikes I've had since, I've not had saddlesoreness or need for creams or lotions.

Getting the body position right is two fold. One, the body presents the same cross section, and two, you can throw your creams and lotions away.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The 'Holy Grail' of cycling is getting the weight distribution of the torso even across the contact points on the saddle.

Having the lumbar vertebrae at the correct inclination is supposed to put the pelvis in a position where the 'Holy Grail' is achieved.

An 'upright' seating position will place more weight on the coccyx and promote soreness between the bum cheeks, and raise the need for creams and lotions.

This was explained to me when I was thirteen, and in the twenty or so bikes I've had since, I've not had saddlesoreness or need for creams or lotions.

Getting the body position right is two fold. One, the body presents the same cross section, and two, you can throw your creams and lotions away.

Dont suppose you have a diagram for that :smile:

Fab Foodie

Blimey Jimbo... how many Holy Grails are there in cycling? you should write a book about them.
When published we can then have a poll whether to file them under non-fiction or comedy :rolleyes: :biggrin:

jimboalee

The 'Holy grail' of cycling is being able to shrug off witicisms and wise cracks from other riders in the peleton.
Too much adrenaline from minor annoyances early in the race ruins performance later in the race.

lmow20

If it ain't titanium, it's not that cool.
in the near future i may consider commuting to work (36 mile round trip) a few days a week using pedal power. Ive never used a hybrid and was wondering... for those who have had the use of both typres of bike (road race and hybrid), is there much difference (apart from the handlebars!)

Hey there,
I have been a commuter for a couple of years, on and off. I got into it when I bought a specialized sirrus, which at the time was a nifty little hybrid. The wide bars give so much control, and if you have hills to descend, they feel a lot safer and easier on the neck. I also used it for a tour to Barcelona this summer - very versatile.

That said, I am now on a flatter commute stretch, and I fancy a bit more speed. The upright position of the hybrid does increase drag a bit. Now, the other issue is obviously, 'can I put a rack on it?'. Remember, the bike should be weatherproof, which is why I'm mortgaging the house for a titanium frame :biggrin:.

Safe riding big man

Top Bottom