Hybrid v 'road race' bike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You want a compromise between comfort, reliability, light weight & ease of use.

I'd suggest that comes out as a lightweight tourer or audax bike.

You should be looking for some luggage carrying and mudguards, and a decent range of gears, depending on your route.

Having said that, I ride fixed, but my commute is pretty much flat (with a slight rise over Clapham Common) until I get to the last five minutes, which is where the foothills of the North Downs start abruptly.

My fixed isn't some hipster thing, but a two-braked, drop-barred, rack- and mudguard-equipped steel machine.

- Baz -

Well, I'm gonna stick up for the hybrid... Tomorrow will see me clock up 1000 miles commuting since 22nd June, on a 14 mile round trip into Manchester city centre. I find the bike does everything I want it to and I've never once wished it was a road bike. It's as comfy as an armchair (since I fitted a Charge Spoon), has a decent turn of speed when necessary, can stop on a sixpence when required, thanks to V brakes with Kool Stops, and I like the riding position that flat bars give me. Continental Contact tyres soak up the bumps with ease, full mudguards for the crappy weather and a rack if needed (which it has been). Would definitely buy again.

Maybe if I was doing double the distance I MAY change my mind, but the advantages of anything else are insignificant for the distance/traffic and more a matter of bias/personal preference.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
er will do
And another point of view.

If the aim of your commuting by bike is to lose a few excess pounds of fat from around your midriff, the heavy cumbersome bike is the one to chose.

Get the roadbike when the waist and legs look the part.

I know you seem like an abrassive sod at times (no offence), but darn you hit the nail on this and many other subjects.

I have been tooing and throwing at getting bike number two, eBay hunting carbon road bikes upto £1500, but at 15 stone what the hell is the differnce going to be saving a bit of weight on the frame, and christ I reckon I would look pretty funny too. So for me it will be my 13.5 stone treat. For now my Muirwoods 29er will suffice :hello:

I used to think that a flat bar was better in traffic and wanted something light and fast for my old 17.5mile oneway commute and bought the sirrus (formerly a flat bar road bike). I've since discovered drop bar road bikes and found out how much more efficient they are and their brakes are fab (100x better than my circa 1985 Raleigh Racer). My current Hybrid is built like a tank, weighs the proverbial ton but its practical and is of less value so it'd be my choice for shorter journeys. For any commute of distance drops would be my preference.

J4CKO

I started on a road bike I was given, that got "ungiven" (brother in law) so I bought a Cannondal Bad Boy that took a while to get used to, was ok but when CTW came round again I got a Spec Allez Elite, much nicer to ride, lovely ride, nice lope and not too twitchy.

I prefer the lower bottom bracket and longer pedal stroke to the Hybrid, the hybrid is better in town but most of my riding isnt town and riding accordingly make enough difference.

Maz

Guru
Road bike all the way.

I had the usual misgivings about road bikes for commuting (low head position, traffic visibility, position of brakes, etc), but they are unfounded.

I wouldn't go back to riding flat-bar, given the choice.

And it is a personal choice.

J4CKO

I am thinking of selling my Cannondale Bad Boy, rode it a couple of weeks back and didn't enjoy it compared to the road bike, it just feels so right, it even seems tougher, was breaking spokes on the Cannondale on the rear, this is still 100 percent true and though whilst I am careful, I am no more careful than with the Cannondale, suspect having a stronger rear built by Rick Green cycles was a good move, its still like new despite potholes and 16 stones of me plus laptop and other stuff. Still tackle Bridle paths, farm tracks, muddy paths etc, I think the perception is Road Bikes are fragile, I don't think they are, the Allez isnt but then it isnt super light waif like thing at 20 lbs, still bloody light though.

Did I mention that i love it ?

jimboalee

er will do

I know you seem like an abrassive sod at times (no offence), but darn you hit the nail on this and many other subjects.

I have been tooing and throwing at getting bike number two, eBay hunting carbon road bikes upto £1500, but at 15 stone what the hell is the differnce going to be saving a bit of weight on the frame, and christ I reckon I would look pretty funny too. So for me it will be my 13.5 stone treat. For now my Muirwoods 29er will suffice :hello:

Would you like me as your PT Sergeant ?

jimboalee

P0856_26-09-10.jpg

Here's the 'little' bike for nipping eight miles across the East side of Birmingham, when the job requires.
Dyno lights, back box, full mudguards, chainguard, low gears ( 32, 42 & 56 inches ) and sprung saddle for comfort.
Top ratio of 56 inches pulls speed down to 14 mph at 83sh rpm. This means the time is longer than other bikes, but sweat is non-existant. Spare undies in back box with PRK, bin liner, cable lock and carton of milk for coffee.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Take a look at the Marin Toscana. I've had Galaxy tourers in the past but really like the Toscana. Comes with mechanical disc brakes, carbon fork and lots of braze on points. Has clearance for full sks mudguards and 35c tyres. Some people dislike the Sora shifters but the do the job. I think the gearing is a little high but that's an individual choice. Have done a camping tour on one of these using a Tubus Disco Rack.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Would you like me as your PT Sergeant ?

Could do with one one the this week 15 miles home all the way a head wind, get right peed off with it. Why is the wind stronger later in the day, my normal head wind is the mornings but mostly is quite weak, its turned since Sunday.

You could lend me that nice shopper further down :biggrin:

Norm

Spare undies in back box with PRK, bin liner, cable lock and carton of milk for coffee.
Blimey, Jimbo, how slow does the BSA make you that you need spare undies and coffee supplies for an eight mile trip to Tescos? :biggrin:

I see that has the trademark Jimbo wetflap on the front guard but you do know you shouldn't leave it outside the door. Someone like me might come along and accidentally stand in the middle of the wheel if you do that. :whistle:

Jezston

Über Member
P0856_26-09-10.jpg

Here's the 'little' bike for nipping eight miles across the East side of Birmingham, when the job requires.
Dyno lights, back box, full mudguards, chainguard, low gears ( 32, 42 & 56 inches ) and sprung saddle for comfort.
Top ratio of 56 inches pulls speed down to 14 mph at 83sh rpm. This means the time is longer than other bikes, but sweat is non-existant. Spare undies in back box with PRK, bin liner, cable lock and carton of milk for coffee.

You know I had a go on my friend's bike which is like this when I was visiting them in Switzerland and found it a lot of fun! I felt very dignified riding around in such an upright position, and the small wheels giving plenty of carriage space and step through frame meaning you don't have to be an olympic gymnast to get on and off when fully loaded made me decide that I shall be getting such a bike for shopping on one day!

I certainly wouldn't want to do a 30 mile round trip on one, though.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
in the near future i may consider commuting to work (36 mile round trip) a few days a week using pedal power. Ive never used a hybrid and was wondering... for those who have had the use of both typres of bike (road race and hybrid), is there much difference (apart from the handlebars!)
N + 1
You need both :biggrin:
I have a slighly shorter commute than that & I prefer to use my road bike, although depending what I need to carry, I quite often use the hybrid. There's a noticeable difference in my times, as on good days I've averaged close to 20mph for the total 35 miles on the road bike, but on the hybrid I'm lucky to average 16mph.
I've just taken delivery of a touring bike, so I'll see how that gets on over the coming weeks, but I'm expecting it to be somewhere inbetween the two.

jimboalee

You know I had a go on my friend's bike which is like this when I was visiting them in Switzerland and found it a lot of fun! I felt very dignified riding around in such an upright position, and the small wheels giving plenty of carriage space and step through frame meaning you don't have to be an olympic gymnast to get on and off when fully loaded made me decide that I shall be getting such a bike for shopping on one day!

I certainly wouldn't want to do a 30 mile round trip on one, though.

The photo was taken while I was waiting for 09:00. At 09:00, I used the Autoteller to get my starting proof for a 100km Audax DIY.

Top Bottom